gvouga

Well Known Member
I'm trying to gather a lot of info to put together an estimate for my insurance. I've found some info searching the forums over the past couple days, but I still have questions.

Prop Strike-
There is evidence (blood and feathers) that the hawk hit my prop during the birdstrike. Does this require a teardown. How about a prop overhaul. I don't see any chips, bends, or dents in the prop.

Canopy Rebuild-
What is a reasonable estimate for rebuild time for an RV-7 slider canopy? Also, are there other options than vans for the replacement canopy? Todds Canopies doesn't do RV-7's I don't believe.

Paint-
How much should I budget (time and/or $) to repaint the canopy frame and front deck

Labor rates-
What are the common reimbursment rates that others are getting from insurance companies? It seems to me that we should get what the normal maintenance shops are getting, but that's just me.

Keep in mind, this is all for the insurance estimate. I'm not trying to gouge the insurance company, but I don't want to get short changed either. I always seem to underestimate build times so I thought I would solicit other opinions.

Also, I'm trying to find a few good build logs to review for more info. I used Dan Checkaway's during my build, but it's not an option now. I've seen recomendations posted recently, but I can't seem to find the posts now. Any help pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Last edited:
I can't remeber anyone doing a teardown for a bird strike. I have seen blades come loose on 2 different CS props from hawk strikes. A movie dude I know had a redtail go through his hartzell while a couple local CFI's were playing with it and a blade came loose within 5 hours.

If I recall correctly the Lycoming teardown requirements for what we all refer to as a "prop strike" is more correctly called a "sudden stopage" teardown and inspection by Lycoming. In this case, no stoppage occurred, so that particular teardown and inspection procedure wouldn't apply.

I'm not aware of a separate one for impacts to the propeller by debris that doesn't cause a stoppage.