clam

Well Known Member
I cut my -8 canopy rails too short today. Plans call for 45 15/16 and I cut them 45 5/16. Any thoughts out there on using these as is? It seems that other than looking like a buffoon built it, and the canopy losing 5/8" aft motion, it doesn't have any other consequences. Just considering before I order new ones.

Probably OK

If you don't mind that they will look short you're probably OK.

Mount them towards the front and let the back be short. You typically can't let the canopy go all the way back anyway as it will hit the vertical stab fairing and the handle latch mechanism will hit the rear bulkhead.

I put about a 3" long piece of rubber hose in the back end of my track to act as a stop. So 5/8" short on the track will not affect anything other than looks. I like the rubber hose as it is a soft stop. It gives when the canopy goes back against it so it doesn't make you cringe when the canopy rolls back and hits the stop.

You could probably get away with splitting the difference front and rear, with a 5/16" gap on each end. I'm not at my plane so double check. Make sure the rollers don't come that far forward when canopy is closed.

Ted

Give it a try

Like Ted I placed a stop 2 inches from the end of the rail to prevent the canopy latch handle from mashing into the rear seat bulkhead.

It will certainly work if you mount the rails towards the front.

Go ahead an install them and keep on building. If you don't like the looks of the rear gap, you can always order a replacement set in the future.

Good Luck.

Mike Draper
RV-8 N468RV
TMX 0360, CS
Finishing, Finishing, Finishing....

Canopy rails

They are really cheap. I replaced mine a few years back, and they were only $5.50 each. Replace them if you want to!

Ted,
I also used the rubber hose method of canopy stop. I thought that I came up with a clever idea...looks like you beat me to it!

Rubber Hose For Canopy Stop

Don,

Thanks for the compliment but I didn't come up with it either!!

I saw it on another 8 in Washington. I think it's pretty commom.

Sure is a great idea though!

Ted