ColoRv

Well Known Member
Hello again RV8 experts. I have yet another question. I am installing the canopy side rails and when set equal distant from the side skin at the back, 25 5/8 apart and then squared at the front with the same width and corner to corner measurement....I end up with one rail running pretty close to flush with the fuselage side rail and the other side hanging into the fuselage by an eighth inch or so. Before I drill anything permanent, I thought I would ask if this is normal. I've checked the measurements a few times and I'm pretty certain this is square and exactly parallel...but the difference from side to side at the front is a bit disturbing since that difference doesn't exist at the back. Normal? Scary? Scrap the fuselage and try again?

IMG_2506_zps8be721aa.jpg

IMG_2507_zpsa95774e4.jpg

Also, the bow of the canopy frame is not at all the same as that of my front weldment. I assume this will change when I start applying the "controlled muscle power" that Van calls for to make the frame fit the sides, but will it change that much?

IMG_2504_zps3575099f.jpg

Last edited:
Rails

You can cheat the rail over a little and make them even side to side , the wheel in the track has some play in it to allow for it . The rollbar and canopy frame is not a big deal if you Sika the canopy , need a gap for glue anyway .
Tom

Canopy Bow

The canopy bow can move a great deal. I used a ratchet strap on it while mounted to the airframe (bottom rail to upper bow). Crank it past where you want it to go a bit at a time. It will spring back of course. Keep going until it's right.

Don

The canopy bow can move a great deal. I used a ratchet strap on it while mounted to the airframe (bottom rail to upper bow). Crank it past where you want it to go a bit at a time. It will spring back of course. Keep going until it's right.

Don

Don, I'm trying to visualize this and coming up short. Can you clarify a bit? Have any pictures?

Ok, back the bus up a minute... If you are equidistant from the OML of the fuselage (side skin), then how can you be hanging over the edge on one side by an eighth? For this to be true, your longerons or track rails are not the same width.

And yes, the canopy bow is pretty rubbery... It will move a whole lot if you need it to.

Sorry Bill... no pics, but a thousand words is worth a picture.

In your photo the canopy is skewed to the right. If the spacing on the wheels is right cut yourself a notched stick to wedge between the left and right rails and preserve that distance.

Next, wrap a ratcheting strap one loop around the canopy bow in the upper right. Connect the loose ends/hooks to the left lower and/or upper tubes, preferably where the welds are.

Now, start ratcheting it up with the wheels in the rails to hold the bottom reasonably in place with the help of your stick. The strap might slip a time or two until you find the sweet spot on the curved portion of the bow. Pull it into shape and then past that some until it springs back just right.

The canopy rails hold the bottom tubes in place and the strap allows you to twist the bow the direction you need to go. After that is done you may need to ratchet the bottom rails closer together or even spread them apart.

Two or more people could probably do this with muscle power alone, but I was solo and used the tools at hand. I remember sitting inside the airplane with my back against one rail and feet against the other getting the left and right rails farther apart so the wheels rolled correctly in the rails.

Okay, now I'm getting closer to a thousand words.

Don