ghatch

What is anyone using to lube the canopy rails and/or canopy rail rollers on sliders?
I have an RV-7 slider. I live in West Texas and a dusty environment is the norm.

Thanks for your input,
Gerry

keep it dry

I think a teflon type lube will be best. Not one of the ones that stays wet, or waxy - one of those that dries up. My wife found a liquid teflon substance that was packaged in what would be an Elmer's glue sort of squeeze bottle (@ Lowe's). Sounds perfect for the wheels, and could be wiped on the spine rail as required. I have not stolen it from the kitchen - yet...:rolleyes:

Carry on!
Mark

Bicycle chain lube

I don't remember the brand, but I use a dry type lube that I bought at a bicycle shop.

While you're there, pick up some Tri-flow to use on rod-end bearing and other flight control hinge points.

I live in the Mojave desert and have recommended this before for rod end bearings but also use it on my slider rails: LPS-1 :D Rosie

I live in the Mojave desert and have recommended this before for rod end bearings but also use it on my slider rails: LPS-1 :D Rosie

Rosie, might not be good in other parts of the country.

I think LPS-1 acts like WD-40, displaces the water and allows the part to rust quicker once it disappears. The description you linked to does say "Provides a short term, light corrosion resistant barrier."

It should be fine in the Mojave and AZ deserts though...:)

You could try a very small amount of carbon graphite, like whats used in locks, if you're in a dry dusty place.

If you're a gun nut, a tiny amount of CLP will also go a long way to not only lube but protect the exposed metal.

I vote for

Triflow. Probably, keeping it clean is the most important part.

bird

silicone

If you have not painted yet do not use silicone. Your paint will not stick to it. My painter will not allow any silicone in his shop.

Thanks guys. I have Tri-Flow, LPS 1&2, CLP, CorrosionX. All of which I have used before. I think I will check out the Lowes stuff suggested and the dry lube from bike shop. Everything I have used previously has collected dirt and made the track gritty. I fly from my West Texas grass (dirt if it doesn't rain) which adds to the problem.
Thanks again for all your help,
Gerry

the dry lube from bike shop.
I would give this a try. One brand is called "White Lightening" and is, in fact sold at bike shops. It's designed to be used in lieu of grease on chains b/c water will not wash it away. I would guess that it probably does have some silicon in it but unless you're going to paint your slider track, I don't see why that would be a problem.

Here's a link to what I described:
http://www.amazon.com/White-Lightning-Original-Self-Cleaning-Lubricant/dp/B0016ZXE06

Nothing at all

... and I like it that way. Typically I don't cycle the canopy more than 4 time per flight even on the hotest day. It works fine and I would not want to introduce a source of contamination to that pristine operation environment.

Bob Axsom