Stockmanreef

Well Known Member
I am in the process of figuring out which plane to build. Initially, I was sold on the RV-10, but I have 4 yrs and then the kids are out of the house. So the point is that I won't necessarily need a 4 place plane and that a 2 seater might do the trick. And it will take 3-4 yrs for me to build and get certified anyway. With that said I am now considering the RV-9 or the RV-14.

Question:

How hot is it to fly in an open canopy plane? How bad is the sun the entire trip? I have never flow in a plane with no "roof" so to speak. I know the visibility must be awesome, but is it tiring on a long cross country in a plane where you can't escape the sun? I have flown in an RV-10 and that was a great plane to fly. Just wondering about the open canopy on the other planes.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Ken

There are aftermarket solutions which can block the sun. The Koger Sunshade is one which is commercially available in a few places. Alternately, tinted cling film works.

Personally, I've never been hot in the airplane other than at very low altitude in >90F weather or sitting at the runup line with the canopy closed in similar weather.

I agree, get a Kroger sunshield or a good hat. I never had that much discomfort in my 7A tipup. Pop the canopy during ground ops in hot weather.

Roberta