mcattell

Well Known Member
I riveted the canopy to the canopy frame over a week ago. Tonight I discovered a bag of aluminum pop rivets that were intended for the canopy. Oops, I installed standard CS4 rivets. The CS4 rivets seemed to work fine. Is there any problem leaving those in? I'm guessing the alumuminum ones are softer but now that's it's done I hate to drill all of them out and risk damaging something. Plus I'd be stuck with a bunch of drilled out rivet material trapped inside of the canopy frame.

pop rivets

Mark...

I see no problem with using the CS4-4 rivets in this application. I have flight tested this modification on my bird, and the canopy is still attached. Seems I made the same mistake as you.
I see no reason to take the risk of damaging the canopy to replace the CS-4's
I also used them to attach my glass canopy skirt, but that installation is supplemented with epoxy at the attach points.
Build on I say.....
Chris

The aluminum rivets are indeed specified because they are a bit "softer" than the CS4-4. Now that you have set them, I wouldn't disturb them. They should be fine.
Another suggestion to others who haven't done this yet, when you set the pulled rivets in the canopy, use a hand rivet puller, not a pneumatic one. The pneumatic rivet puller pulls the rivet very hard and can cause cracks.