Toobuilder

Well Known Member
Just wondering,

Beyond the two well known "fastback" mods, are there any other canopy configurations that have been used on the -8? I'm looking at doing the fastback mod with a throw over (i.e. -4 style) canopy. One thing I have NOT seen yet is the single piece with the rakish windscreen shown here:

1525025.jpg

I understand that the Evo shown has a flat wrap windscreen, but I'd like this look with a one piece. Also, the showplanes kit uses the stock bubble cut in the rear section, which does not provide a "perfect" transition to the top line of the fastback; there's a bit of a bubble.

So, knowing that a custom canopy is an option (and an expensive one at that), is there another canopy avaiable that has the attributes I'm looking for (rakish windscreen, higher rear section)?

Last edited:
I bought my canopy from Todds for my Showplanes FB ($450.00). To give it a little more raked front slope, I mounted and cut the plexi as far forward as I could and still have enough length to fit the back. Then I just kept trimming off the bottom until I had enough headroom, but not too much. This made the front edge line up in about the right place. I'll be camping at OSH from Monday thru Wednesday if you want to have a look.

Scott

Thanks for the input guys. I'm not making the treck to mecca this year, but I'd like to see a profile shot of your canopy, Scott.

Here's how I'm doing mine

This has been done before by several builders. Some guys chop the roll bar and canopy frame to get a longer w/s. Some guys just use a flat wrap in place of the stock 'bubble' which increased the angle and loses some of the appeal. One builder, Art Loring who's beautiful RV-8 was the inspiration for mine, modified his baggage door to allow for a longer w/s without choping the rollbar/frame.

Mine is about an inch longer and still in progress so the final results are pending. I often thought the fastback would look the best as it was done on the F-1. The hardest part is modifing the baggage opening and door, but not impossible.

Here's a comparison on my airplane (it's subtle but noticable):
Top pic is stock.

FP26062009A0000Y.jpg

Modified baggage door opening:

FP18072009A00011.jpg

Here's a picture of Art's -8:

DSC_0388%5B1%5Da.JPG

Scott,

If your images exist anywhere on the web, you simply have to place the address between
to get it to show (delete the word "picture"). I have not explored the upload process on this site yet so no help there.

Brent,

Yours and Arts look like they are going Mach 3 sitting still! That's certainly the look I want in the front half, but all one piece.

I wonder if I could cut down a F-16 canopy enough to fit... :D

OK, now using a different method. Tiny Pic

20zs6xs.jpg

e5gys7.jpg

Hey.... I think it works!!!! Lots easier than Image Shack.

These are profile pics of front canopy slope.

Last edited:
Scott, that is sweeet!

It does look like the apex of your canopy is roughly right in the middle of the cockpit (rather than over the front seater's head) which begs the question: can the stock canopy be mounted backwards with the fastback mod... Who is good with photoshop? Can anyone steal the stock slider off 486JT and stick it on Scott's airplane with some Photoshop voodoo?

Brent,
I can't wait to see your 'speed sloped' windshield. Looks like you're getting close. When you 'git 'er done' I hope will come down and fly with the Cincinnati River Rats. Glen Miller - 'Dogg' - from Columbus does all the time.

M.,
486 JT (Jon Thocker) would definately do that if it was possible. He wants to swap props with me to see what difference it makes. Our two airplanes are pretty much identical except for the props and the canopy. A prop swap would give us a close approximation of the prop differences and the canopy differences - in terms of speed.

Scott, How tall are you?

Hi Scott,

I use a picture of you and your airplane in flight for my Desktop background, one of the best looking RV-8's I have ever seen. It's motivation. . . I hope you don't mind.

I actually didn't know who it was until now. Just curious, how tall are you? Trying to get some perspective on just how low the top of canopy could be brought down.

I would be willing to bet, with the popularity of the Showplanes kit, that Todd will soon have enough experience to blow a canopy that smooths the lines from the top of the pilots head to the turtledeck. With a little more "rake" to the front. . . am I wrong?

...I would be willing to bet, with the popularity of the Showplanes kit, that Todd will soon have enough experience to blow a canopy that smooths the lines from the top of the pilots head to the turtledeck. With a little more "rake" to the front. . . am I wrong?

That would be the ticket... Bring the front to be just shy of the stock baggage door, raise the rear so the top line is one smooth line back to the tail.

I would be willing to bet, with the popularity of the Showplanes kit, that Todd will soon have enough experience to blow a canopy that smooths the lines from the top of the pilots head to the turtledeck. With a little more "rake" to the front. . . am I wrong?

Make one for me too Todd :D

With enough time and money you can customize anything...
Having said that the way the Showplanes kit integrates at the front of the cockpit, I don't know if you can move the front closer to the edge of the baggage door. Just a cursory look tells me you would have to rework the imstrument panel cover, the Showplanes canopy "frame" and possibly the forward skin...which is already modified once during the conversion

It would be a lot of work that customizes a customization, but that's what makes this hobby so great!

Joe

I agree Joe.

I was thinking the same thing. The way the front of the frame is, would make it very hard to do much with the front. I think the "raking" look of the front would be as a result of lowering the "bubble" over the pilots head just a couple of inches then improving the lines to the turtle deck. . .

Thought I was tdy'ing to the big D for August, was planning to hit you up. . . but alas. . . I couldn't hold the "assignment" :D

Shoot, you would have spent more time in Dallas than I do ;)

Getting rady to cut the instrument cover on my SP conversion, and would be afraid to modify it and the canopy frame...I have very poor fiberglass skilzzzz :))

Jason,
Thanks for the compliment - it means a lot. I am 6' 1" tall and a little long waisted, so my waist to head height would fit someone about 6' 3" if I was built to proportion. I cut about 1.5" off my roll bar I got from Showplanes before having it welded on. When you get to the point when you're looking for a canopy cover, I bought the light weight one from DJ at Cleaveland. It's and F1 rocket cover, modified slightly. The front chin strap needed to be longer and sewn on at a more forward angle to go under my cowl and on top of my intake scoop. But after that adjustment, it fits quite well. I'm going to see if I can find DJ at OSH and tell/show her what I've done. She could make this change in no time.

Scott