AAflyer

Well Known Member
While installing safety wire on my oil filter, I lost control of the pliers, which flew up and put a small nick at the bottom of my windscreen.
I have a Todds canopy, which I understand is a different plastic than Vans'.
I'd like to learn of an appropriate "filler" that I can dab into the hole, and polish it smooth.
Any ideas/advice?
Thanks.

I'm going to say no filler, just a micromesh kit session.

$25.

Kr-70.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d19vKQAXO24

Last edited:
It's the same plastic!

Hey Bruce,

As the former operator of Aerocanopy, I can tell you for sure that it's the same plastic (cast acrylic). That's what's used for heated and pressure formed canopies.

The micromesh is a good product, but if you already have the graduated grits of sandpaper needed, and the finishing polish you can do a good job. I really liked the Novus products.

Thanks for your suggestions. Unfortunately, I'm not dealing with a scratch....I have a small gouge, and would like to fill it in.
I feel it is too deep to sand/blend out.
What about some clear nail polish?
Thanks.

Thanks for your suggestions. Unfortunately, I'm not dealing with a scratch....I have a small gouge, and would like to fill it in.
I feel it is too deep to sand/blend out.
What about some clear nail polish?
Thanks.

Before you make ANY attempt to repair that "gouge" you might like to read this very recent thread about a builder who attempted to repair a crack in his canopy and made things worse.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=175738

Personally I think the nail polish idea is not good. Nail polish contains volatile organic solvents which will attack your acrylic and may promote cracking.

Windscreen reoair kit

Perhaps a windscreen chip repair kit from an automotive store? The resin in the kit hardens in UV light and is optically the same as glass.
However I don't know about compatibility of the resin with the canopy plastic. The tech support line for Permatex may be able to advise, or do a test first on a separate piece of plexiglass.