DogTrick

I'm New Here
Has anybody herd of someone jettisoning or loosing an RV-8 canopy in flight? There may be a beer in it for the right narrative if it actually occurred. Two beers if it actually happened to you.

Von Alexander jettisoned the canopy from his RV-8 and bailed out, without a parachute, following in in-flight fire.

Kevin,
Oh, that is not good. No intention of being insensitive I just did not know that had happened. Terrible.

What I was looking for is some intel on how the canopy is expected to depart the airplane. Does it get sucked off or does one have to push it into the airstream and is it an instant tail strike. Just some up front thinking about canopy dynamics is appreciated. Having had a close one once I still think about getting out of the airplane.

Von Alexander used quick release pins on his bow. Knowing that his mod allowed him to jettison while in flight prompted me to use the same system on my plane. From my own experience, while rolling out I have opened the canopy and slid it back a bit only to have it suck forward and close itself.