Dayton Murdock

Well Known Member
Entry lock for Canopy

Hi Guys

How did you install a canopy lock?
I have been pondering the installation of my canopy lock, Where to install it is the big question? What dose the locks engage to is another question? If you are so incline please post some comments and pic?s of your canopy lock

Last edited:
Dayton,

I'm assuming that you are talking about the lock to prevent an inadvertant activation of the canopy locking mechanism. My understanding is that there was a concern regarding the proximity of the canopy handle and throttle handle in Van's original design, with the throttle/mixure mounted on the top rail.

I believe that you, as I, have mounted the quadrant in a different location, reducing the likleyhood of reaching for the wrong handle during a throttle back situation. So, I'm not even looking at installing one. In the limited flying I've done so far I've not even come close to grabbing the canopy handle.

Now, grabbing the trim instead of the throttle has been a bit of a nuisance, but I'm still working my way through those issues.

If you were talking about some other canopy locking mechanism, disregard everything I've said, and I'll go away quietly :D

Conopy Lock

Thanks for the reply Dave
I am asking about the entry key lock to keep honest people honest. I need to install one so when I go to far away airports my wife can leave her stuff in the aircraft with some confidence it will still be there when she returns. (She should just carry a wallet in her back pocket) :D

Previous thread

I started a thread on this several months ago and received a variety of posts. It wasn't that long ago so you should be able to find it.

I think a safety latch is a very good idea but the factory issue design doesn't really go the full distance needed. I have decided to omit the safety latch as designed by Van's.

Sincerely, Brian Vickers, RV4 finishing

Dayton Murdock said:
Thanks for the reply Dave
I am asking about the entry key lock to keep honest people honest. I need to install one so when I go to far away airports my wife can leave her stuff in the aircraft with some confidence it will still be there when she returns. (She should just carry a wallet in her back pocket) :D
My Bad!

Please post what you come up with. I'm still in Phase 1 for a little while, and will need to do the same myself shortly!

Sorry for my misunderstanding

Dayton,
Yes, I am going to install a keyed canopy lock. I have seen photos of them. I will look in my hard drive to see if I have a pic or two.

Dayton, Brian,

I bought one of these on ebay, it matches the one on my Luscombe and it locks... is this what you're wanting/going to install? I haven't a clue how to install it :rolleyes:

you guys do anything yet? i'm doing a search right now for ideas.

I've got the mailbox key with the latch that pivots and catches a bolt in the shaft so the canopy can't be opened; and the key matches the ignition but was wondering about options.

Throw away the key...

The best canopy Lock I have seen was very simple, a removable canopy handle. The builder used a Coke machine lock type key system with a removable handle. Since any real crook will break the glass, I just put my cover on, hide the valuables in my hidden fwd baggage bay and press on...

Rob Ray

thanks, i thought of that but you still have the shaft sticking out unless I'm missing something. i know a guy who used to take his handle off.