tannerav8

Has anyone come up with a good way to install a conopy lock microswitch. I would like a lamp on the panel to light if the canopy is not closed, but I am having trouble coming up with a good durable microswitch mount.

Thanks in advance

Scott

Bought a microswitch at Radio Shack. It is set up to work off the rotating bar behind the copilot seat which locks the canopy on my tip up. It activates a light and audio warning on my AF2500 engine monitor if the canopy is not latched. If you need it I can get the part # and take a pic of the install.

Cheers,

db

How about a magnetic switch on the roller track in the center, or in the front of the rail by the panel?

airguy said:
How about a magnetic switch on the roller track in the center, or in the front of the rail by the panel?

That will tell you that the canopy is closed....but not necessarily latched. I admit to one or two take-offs where I looked over during the take-off roll and saw the latch dog up....I double check it now as I add power.

Paul

Canopy Lock indication

Paul,
I will admit to making the same mistake in the last 900 hours of flight. Like you, I added "Looking" at the canopy handle in the locked position to my before takeoff checklist. I believe I would have just as easily missed a warning light on the instrument panel, as my attention is completely outside as I begin the takeoff roll.

The canopy latch is clearly in your view, and a simple glance at it will confirm it is locked. Add to the fact that the prop blast over a closed buy not latched canopy will hold the canopy closed, I believe making the canopy closed and locked part of the before checklist procedure is satisfactory.

I am not familiar with the canopy latching system in a -8, so this may be a bit off base.

How about a mini phone jack installed on the airframe, close to the end of the handle when it is in the latched position. Wire up a warning light through the jack, and put a matching plug on a short lanyard attached to the handle. The plug is inserted to shut off the warning light, and the lanyard length is such that the plug can only be inserted when the handle is in the latched position.

An additional benefit is that this requires an active action by the pilot, not just relying on an automatic system.

Mike

In my "next" RV I may consider some type of interlock or alarm that audibly warns in the event of an unlatched canopy and say 50% or greater throttle.

I've taken off twice in about 900 hours with the lid unlatched. Makes you cringe a bit thinking about it flying off...

Right now my procedure is to latch it at run-up. Second check latched when runup complete and to check again just prior to rolling. I also use a safety pin in the rail at the first open latching position as a backup safety device/reminder.

I think a switch could be installed under the rail sensing the roller position. You'd want it adjustable so it would only make as the canopy was cinched into the fully latched position. A magnetic type switch might work here without having to drill any holes for the switch mechanism.

Just as important in the RV8 is the forward baggage compartment

The baggage compartment door won't open on takeoff and probably won't even open in cruise, but as you slow down in the pattern the door will slowly (almost magically) rise to the full open position right before your eyes. It's not super dangerous since the plane flies fine with the door open but it definitely is surprising.

I now include an eyeball check on the lock when I am doing my run up. A side benefit of that process is I have to stick my head outside to see it completely which makes me then latch the canopy after I am done.

This has happened to me once in about 450 hours.

Bruce
N297NW
RV-8

MSFT-1 said:
The baggage compartment door won't open on takeoff and probably won't even open in cruise, but as you slow down in the pattern the door will slowly (almost magically) rise to the full open position right before your eyes. It's not super dangerous since the plane flies fine with the door open but it definitely is surprising.

Bruce,

Sorry you had to test that one for us all; thanks for sharing that experience. I often wondered what would happen and religiously check the baggage door lock on every pre-flight. Same for the canopy latch; that's part of my pre-take off routine like others indicated. I don't want to think about that canopy coming off and maybe ending up in the tail.

Glad to hear that the baggage door, at least in your case, survived presumably without damage.

-Rob