Yukon

Well Known Member
Canopy is going well, getting ready for the rivets. Maya helped me drill the holes yesterday, ACS plexi drill did a great job. This canopy work has an undeserved bad reputation. Don't worry about it, just press on!!!!

Last edited:
Just don't get too cocky. It will jump up and bite you when your not expecting it.

Patience Grasshopper.

Karl

roger that houston

RV8N said:
Just don't get too cocky. It will jump up and bite you when your not expecting it.

Patience Grasshopper.

Karl
not to jinx but theres plenty of time left to crack it. it is easy but it cracks even without knowing it. seen it twice already. right drill right speed right pressure. several holes already drilled then tick? hmm,what was that,only to find a radiating crack later around a screw hole. it is an overated experience though. good luck. i thought the baffles were the worst part of the whole kit. the instructions are lame.

note:mad:75 deg. i tried to crack some scraps after being warned and used various drill bits...i couldnt initiate a crack with varying speeds and pressure :eek: but its only because the gods knew it was scrap. the back would chip out badly but thats it, and i crammed the drill through it. the two i know of cracking were light and gentle one was heard one was not.

Last edited:
Taking it all in, I'm thinking that temperature must be the big variable. Everybody needs to know that it is hotter than the surface of the sun in my garage, here in Phoenix, Arizona. Never less than 90 degrees, sometimes 110.
The plexi drill feels like it is drilling into butter, never having a tendancy to bite or dig in. Be very careful if it is cold where you are!

Pick up a 10X magnifier and look at the back side of your holes. Prepare to be afraid <g>

A hole-type single flute countersink/deburr tool (applied lightly) will smooth the edges of the holes. "Break all edges" is a plexiglass rule too.

Phoenix

man when i watch the weather channel i always see the temps there and cringe.. isnt that always the case? 6 of one and a half dozen of the other.
the hottest its been in my shop all year is 107..but the humidity is the butt kicker. i had a puddle of water on my porch .250 deep stayed for days in the 90-100 heat.

Yukon said:
Canopy is going well, getting ready for the rivets. Maya helped me drill the holes yesterday, ACS plexi drill did a great job. This canopy work has an undeserved bad reputation. Don't worry about it, just press on!!!!
yeah, yeah, yeah. Mine cracked on the very last hole.

Yukon said:
Taking it all in, I'm thinking that temperature must be the big variable. Everybody needs to know that it is hotter than the surface of the sun in my garage, here in Phoenix, Arizona...
...and just like the surface of the sun - it's dry heat.

Hot

Well, yesterday we broke the record, AGAIN, for the most days over 110. We are now at 32 for the season. Really hot.

I was thinking about getting up early and flying somewhere. The problem is, ya gotta come back. In the process you'll get beat up pretty bad with turbulence. I'm ready for it to cool down.

Now before you guys in the more comfortable climates start to rub it in, we could revisit the conversation in say, January!!!!

Today it was about 113 with 7 kt winds most of the day. That made it 122 with the "wind chill factor."

Hey, John, how about a pool party at your place. Make sure Maya is there. I'll bring the steaks and beer.

My Eyes

My eyes decieve me... a pretty young lady holding a power tool next to an airplane and smiling like its real... ARE YOU SURE WE HAVENT BEEN PHOTOSHOPPED....? Shanannigens....I tell you.... Shanannigans....
(whispering.... if you haven't married that woman.. you'd better do so yesterday!!) I sent out an add in GA that said wanted woman with airplane... send picture of airplane... no answers yet... but hoping...

Best
Brian

brianwallis said:
My eyes decieve me... a pretty young lady holding a power tool next to an airplane and smiling like its real... ARE YOU SURE WE HAVENT BEEN PHOTOSHOPPED....? Shanannigens....I tell you.... Shanannigans....
(whispering.... if you haven't married that woman.. you'd better do so yesterday!!) I sent out an add in GA that said wanted woman with airplane... send picture of airplane... no answers yet... but hoping...

Best
Brian

I think your right! 110 F and she isn't even sweating. Must be fake!