tonyjohnson

Well Known Member
My canopy collides with the front skin when I move the canopy forward. I could find no reference to this issue in the plans. I have seen on other websites, like Mickey Coggins` that some builders cut away the bottom front edges of the canopy. Perhaps now I know why.

I am posting this to see if other 8 builders have had this problem and how they solved it, before I put a dremel wheel to the plexi.

canopyinterferancewl6.jpg

Tony

I cut the aluminum since I am attaching/blending fiberglass into a fairing in that area to overlap the canopy skirt. I have seen both squared off butt joints were the canopy closes and overlapping arrangements.

Good luck.

I also cut the aluminum almost all the way forward to the rib (About 1/4" aft of the rib web) for the same reason Wade said. I had my fiberglass layups from the windscreen fairing come over the plexi and skirt.

Jerry

thanks

Thanks Wade and Jerry for your advice. A couple of quick snips and it is done. The canopy rolls all the way forward now :)

You gotta love this site. I can't imagine building an RV without it.

Its Art!!

You did the right thing listening to those guys...trim to fit! This is one of those places on the kit where you can't make a "wrong" move from an engineering perspective - it's Art! Make it fit, and make it look good (using lots of glass to fair it in....) - this is a place that your airplane will be like no other. :D

Paul