Fearless

Well Known Member
Its that time for me to start cutting on the canopy. The plans say to cut off the excess from the canopy fore and aft and both sides. My question is where to cut up to to properly get the excess off. Do you cut up to where the plexiglass doesn't show any more markings or distortions and the canopy is clear. When I had the frame resting in the canopy it looked to me that I could initial cut up to that point and still have material to cut off for the final cutting later in the process. I couldn't readily find a good example on a builders site or clear explanation in the forum archives. The builders manual doesn't show a picture of this either.

That sounds safe...

That is without seeing it. I was surprised at just how much of the canopy you do cut off. That said, I just did multiple cuts at safe places as I narrowed in on the right place. That took a lot of time, but it kept me from taking off too much - I was pretty sure I couldn't glue it back on ;) If I was to do it again, I would do what your proposing. Good luck.

Its that time for me to start cutting on the canopy. The plans say to cut off the excess from the canopy fore and aft and both sides. My question is where to cut up to to properly get the excess off. Do you cut up to where the plexiglass doesn't show any more markings or distortions and the canopy is clear. When I had the frame resting in the canopy it looked to me that I could initial cut up to that point and still have material to cut off for the final cutting later in the process. I couldn't readily find a good example on a builders site or clear explanation in the forum archives. The builders manual doesn't show a picture of this either.

That's what I did

Mike, That is what I did. Cut off the portion that had ridges, distortion, etc. My first cut was in the aft in the middle of the ridges. After that, I made all the rest of the cuts removing the ridges and distortion. You will make numerous cuts all around so it isn't really a problem. This may make a difference as to TU or slider. Mine is a slider. Gluing should happen on Saturday. YMMV. :eek:

That's the trick. Numerous cuts til it fits. This is one of those areas you just don't rush.

Roberta

I was a little shy about the cutting but, looking back, I wish I'd cut right up to the point where the canopy goes vertical. I ended up using the clips not only to keep the canopy from moving forward but also to keep it down. Nothing wrong with that, but it got to be a little bit of a pain in the neck when it came time to bury the clips in the fiberglass fairing.

But, yes, smaller cuts, not one big one. I also sanded all cuts to a 'finished' state (down to 800 grit) after every cut, even though I was going to make another. Definitely overkill but it gave me good practice.

Rite of passage - BIG CUT Done

Ok, after reading everyones advice I got the edges trimmed down. I made the BIG CUT today. I figured I might as well get it done as the temperatures were high.

Here is the before shot after everything was organized.

my.php

Here is the after shot.

my.php

Now on to the rest of the canopy fiddling.