Jefflash

I'm New Here
I have a friend who built an RV-4 and an RV-8. His RV -4 canopy departed the airplane in flight causing some injury to both occupants. My question is is this the only incident of canopy departure or are there other events. I am in the market for an RV-4 and would like to resolve this in my mind.

Canopy

There have been incidents where the pilot has failed to latch the canopy correctly as there have in many other aircraft. To my knowledge a 4 canopy has never departed that was latched correctly.

Stupid is...

I have a friend who built an RV-4 and an RV-8. His RV -4 canopy departed the airplane in flight causing some injury to both occupants. My question is is this the only incident of canopy departure or are there other events. I am in the market for an RV-4 and would like to resolve this in my mind.

First, welcome to VAF.
The RV4 canopy lock mechanism is simple and effective. As Steve mentioned, secured properly there is no issue. I even added additional safety when I built my RV4 with a canopy hold back lock that doubled as a hold open for taxiing on hot days. (every day in TX!)
Before you plunk down hard earned cash on an airplane you aren't familiar with I recommend you resolve to take a look at the builders manual, chat with a few experienced owners (local EAA chapter for starters) or even get a ride. Additionally I recommend you have 50 hours of Tail wheel time and some complex airplane experience.

RV aircraft aren't inherently dangerous nor are they particularly difficult to fly. However comma,like any aircraft they require vigilance to make sure things are secure prior to departing terra firma, especially the canopy.
They are experimental by definition and Amateur Built by category. Therefore every one is unique, the RV4 notwithstanding. The canopy lock however is fairly standardized.

Email me offline anytime, glad to offer my Dos Centavos...

V/R
Smokey
[email protected]

PS: In 25 years and over 1500 hours in my RV4 I never once had a canopy issue and have only heard of a few incidents over the years, ALL attributed to not properly securing the lock!

Last edited:
I am a -4 builder/owner, and have worked on many others. If the latch mechanism is built to plans, and additionally has the secondary safety catch developed to keep an unlocked canopy from opening, its impossible to get it open accidentally. What I have seen though, is many builders have modified the mechanism, either removing the safety spring, changing the travel direction, or some other deviation to prevent accidental CLOSING damage, which will allow the latch rods to contact the skin edge. I have a hardline rule on my -4...NOBODY opens or closes the canopy but me to prevent the later situation. I love the -8 slider for coolness, and taxi comfort, but the -4 has unobstructed visibility that is hard to beat.