prkaye

Well Known Member
OK, so to prevent long-term cracking, it's been recommended to me to drill holes 30% bigger than the screw being used. The screws for the canopy are #6, right? I'm not sure of the diameter of these screws, or how much bigger the 5/32 drill is than this.
Instead of the 5/32, has anyone gone up to a 3/16 plastic drill, and then used #6 Tinnerman washers (A3236-012-935) to center the screws in these holes and distribute some of the stress fromt he head of the screw?
Or is 3/16 too big for these holes?

I think if your holes are nicely centered the 5/32 should be large enough to take up any expansion. I bet there are a lot of airplanes out there that have done this and had no problems for years. IMHO, if your holes are too large, then you have less of the (countersunk) screw head grabbing the plexi and it will put more stress on the edge of the hole, i.e., make it more likely to crack.

greg

interesting thought Greg, I hadn't thought of it that way. What about the Tinnerman washers (in 5/32 holes)? Is this a commnon practice?

Here is another idea. I might worry a little about the tinnermans not sealing good under the windshield overlap.

Not to hard, just takes a little time. It is also prosealed down to seal and keep it from moving.

Bill S
7a finishing

Scratched my head too.

I am trying to find out the the anwwer to the same question. Reviewed the plans ad nauseam and still coudln't confirm for myself whether or not the 5/32 holes would be big enough for the #6 screws. What is the verdict? Will be drilling in a couple of weeks...