jimgreen

Well Known Member
I'm just preparing to drill the hinge blocks to the short ribs(f 644). When I cleco on the top skin with the blocks in place it is tight and hard to line up the short ribs to insert the clecos.
It looks like it's going to be very tough to push the goose necks between the hinge blocks as the space is only about 3/16ths.
Do I press on and sand down the blocks later or what?

Just found out the 617 blocks are over size - 13/16ths. Next question is, has anyone had success sanding down UHMW ? The blocks are too small to plane.

Last edited:
RE; Canopy isn't it fun!!!!!

I'm just preparing to drill the hinge blocks to the short ribs(f 644). When I cleco on the top skin with the blocks in place it is tight and hard to line up the short ribs to insert the clecos.
It looks like it's going to be very tough to push the goose necks between the hinge blocks as the space is only about 3/16ths.
Do I press on and sand down the blocks later or what?

Jim

I believe (its been a while....since this activity..) I put the canopy on before I clecoed the skin on. This way it was easy to get it in and put the skin on after it is on. Check out Dan C web page for some great advice.

http://www.rvproject.com/20030220.html

Also be very careful when lifting the canopy as the forward skib of the canopy wants to catch the aft edge of the deck skin........

Frank @ 1L8 ....RV7A....last 925 details...paint is next :eek:

Last edited:
follow up to hinge block trimming

Just as a follow up for anyone checking out this thread.
I found my belt sander wouldn't touch the UHMW plastic, but had success trimming the blocks to 3/4" thickness on my table saw. Just watch your fingers.