MarkW

Well Known Member
Friend
I have searched the forums and found reference to raising the canopy height for a tall person but not HOW to do it or the downside.
I am 6'5" and need all I can get for room.
How would you go about raising the canopy for a slider.
I invision putting a 1/2" spacer under the roll bar pads. This would mean the front windshield would just transition to the front skin further forward. I would also either not cut the frame where the roller slide in or add a spacer.
It would make the side skirts shorter though. Might have to remake the side skirts.
Finish kit is being delivered is a few weeks and the canopy will be one of the first items.
Any constructive help would be appreciated

head room

There were instructions from Vans for raising the canopy and it was done on some aircraft. The comments are buried in history, but someone on the forum will surely have them. I think it recommends an inch or less. Not sure why that figure.
Your comments are fine and raise the roll bar also with a spacer. The best thing to do first is sit in an RV with standard canopy and remove most of the cushions. I assume you have done that.
The side skirts are easy to remake and should not be a hindrance.

I am suprised there have not been answers to this. surely someone else has done this.

Thanks for your reply Jay.

Mark,

I think most move rudder pedals and/or seat position to accomodate height. I tried two 9's, a tip up and slider, there seemed to be slightly more room in the tip up. But neither had enough for me so I've gone for the 8, even then I'll need a raised canopy and thinner cushions to make it work.

G'day Mark,

Like you, I'm 6'5 1/2, and building a -9A and all I've done is move the rudder pedals all the way forward so the bearing blocks touch the longeron firewall gussets. Note that by doing this you cannot use the firewall recess though, so an aft-mounted governor is out.

I reckon I'll have enough room to fit, but most of my height is in my legs. YMMV.

Thanks for the replies.
I have already mounted the rudder pedals as far forward as I feel feasible and my leg room seems to be fine. I have as much as I need. My problem is that the couple of RV-7's that I have been in, my headset touches the canopy unless I slouch a bit. I think I can get a lot by using thin cushions but if I could gain 1/2 to a full inch it would be priceless.

Get rid of the headset...

A thin cushion and an in ear headset (I use a halo) will likely get you there fine... for reference I am just under 6'5" with a 34 inseam (180 lb). Also note that the farther aft that you sit the deeper you are in the seat even though you are more upright... the seat geometry and headroom change a bit with both seat hinge position and seatback position. During the build you can cheat the canopy up a tad at the roll bar... I did not do this but even a 1/4 inch at your head is big deal if you need it. I am pretty sure that you can get 1/4 to 1/2 inch extra at the roll bar by using some longer leg angle stock or by stacking some 1/8 aluminum shims... more than that will likely need some extra effort.

Thanks Stephen,
I had been thinking about the Halo headset. If nothing else it would keep me from scratching the canopy. Problem is that not only am I tall but half going deft so ANR is important. How well do the Halo's do compared to the Zulu 2's?
I am considering a 1/4" plate for a shim under the roll bar. Like you said even a little would help. I would assume raising the roll bar would not change the geometry on the windscreen so much that it would be a problem. Seems like it would just attach to the front skin a little further forward. I have the kit coming next month and that will probably be the first thing I work on so I will try a few things. I guess since most builders have to cut the canopy frame forward tubes down a little at the rollers then there is enough height on the frame to match a 1/4" taller on the roll bar.

Height difference genralities

For what it's worth, and generally speaking, most of the height differences between persons can be isolated to leg length. Most people’s torsos average out to be relatively closer in length. Usually, height differences are neutralized when everyone sits together (I am speaking to the relative middle mass of the standard bell curve here). In other words, they no longer have the different leg lengths to compete with.

Of course, this does not mean that there are not torsos that aren't shorter or longer than the statistical norm (bell curve outliers). This simply means that it is possible you don't need to go to the trouble of raising the canopy. Have you tried sitting in a standard slider?

Just my two cents.

E.

Last edited: