Berchmans

Well Known Member
I have installed a Todd's canopy on my RV8 with Sikaflex and found as many others have that the operating shaft on the canopy handle weldment was to short. I have read several posts were folks have welded an extension on the shaft and machined it to fit. I wanted to make something that would one could build without resorting to those measures. I also was at a loss as to how to keep the canopy handle securely in place. This was my approach.

I rounded up the following materials.
1/2 inch OD steel tubing, 3/8 inch ID.
3/8 inch Dia. Aluminum round stock.
2 - 3/32 inch dia X 1/2 inch long tension pins.
1 - 3/8 inch ID flat washer.

I then cut down the existing shaft on the handle weldment even with the end on the socket on the canopy frame. I then cut a section of the steel tubing to a length of 1 1/4 inches. Next I cut a piece of the 3/8 inch aluminum stock to match the length of the weldment handle shaft plus the thickness of the washer plus the length of the steel tubing extension.

The aluminum stock is inserted in the weldment shaft and held in position by drilling through the saft and stock and inserting the 2 tension pins. You will need to dress the ends of the pins so that the shaft will slide into the shaft socket on the canopy weldment. Once this part is assembled and installed in the canopy frame place the 3/8 inch washer over the aluminum stock on the out side of the socket. Next take the steel tube extension and place over the aluminum stock. Once all this is in place the outside handle may be installed. The washer is held in place by the extension and this gives positive support to the handle. I found that it was easier to assemble if I placed the aluminum stock and the steel tube in the drill press and worked them over with a little emery cloth first. This worked for me. You can the the dis-assembled and assembled parts below...

003-1.jpg

Handle Parts

002.jpg

Handle assembly