JackT

I was looking at the beautiful pictures of the RV-8 High Roller with its dark tinted canopy. I got to thinking about glare and reflections especially at night. How is it? I just got my tail and wing kit so I now have a vested interest.

Don't worry

Yes there are reflections but it is not a problem. I've flown a RV-4 for a long time quite a bit at night and its a non issue but it is there to a small degree, may be on the side. The idea is to keep the front windscreen from seeing reflected light, which is not hard since all of the light should be from the panel and the glare shield works both ways. At night it keeps panel lights off the canopy, in the day it keeps the sun light off the instruments. If you plan "MAP LIGHTS" put them low and on the side so they do not scatter light all over to reflect on the canopy. Also you want to have control over all lights so you can turn them way down or off as needed. I have done that in both planes and cars, turn all interior lights off or almost off to see out better at night. On the other hand drive your car with the dome light on, same thing, it makes it harder to see out at night. You have to protect your eye's night vision (adaptation) as well.

Day time you have the sun on you Noggin. So hats and suction sun shades from K-mart, plus good sunglasses are part of the fun. If you get the "static" cling tinted film don't leave it on the canopy on the ground, I've been told it can do bad things to the canopy. Bubble canopies and the view they afford is one of the joys of RV's, but it comes with some small draw backs but they are minor. Don't worry, you are building a very nice flying, sound and airworthy bird. Bottom line you will LOVE the view day or night. G

JackT said:
I was looking at the beautiful pictures of the RV-8 High Roller with its dark tinted canopy. I got to thinking about glare and reflections especially at night. How is it? I just got my tail and wing kit so I now have a vested interest.

Ive owned both. My rv-6 had the clear canopy and i did have issues with glare and reflections, especially with pictures and at night. Just annoyances. All tolerable.

When I built the 8 I went with the tinted canopy from Todd and it has completely removed those issues for me. Wife takes lots of pictures and reflections are much less. Night reflections off canopy are still there, but greatly reduced. I would definately do the tinted again. Mostly for the heat reduction, but also for the reflection and the cooler look the dark tint gives against a dark paint scheme.
Best

Thanks for the replys. I'm suprised that the tinted is better than the clear at night. Who is Todd with the tinted canopies?