yankee-flyer

Well Known Member
Have the canopy frame in place and spread enough (right now, at least) to get 1/32 overhang on each side but looking ahead the C1202 canopy skirts get riveted to the square section lower part of the frame, The weld bead at the angle change sticks out quite a bit and will put a "hump" in the skirt unless it's filed flat. No mention of that in the plans. I assume that we're supposed to know enough at this point to file the bead flat on that side but I have no knowledge of welded aluminum and taking a file to the weld bothers me. Did everyone else go ahead and file it flat?

Also, the center weld bead on the bow is supposed to be filed down to 1/32 inch above the bow. Won't the canopt ride on that and be lifted off the bow unless it's filed down to surface level? PFirst canopy fit Monday so appreciate ALL the input I can get from those who have gone before.

Wayne N143WM

34-06

Wayne,
Also, the center weld bead on the bow is supposed to be filed down to 1/32 inch above the bow. Won't the canopt ride on that and be lifted off the bow unless it's filed down to surface level?
Actually it says to file the tube weld such that it protrudes not more than 1/32 above the tube. Flush is not more than 1/32". :D The canopy is at a steep angle where it contacts the tube. So the filing needs to be done more on the front of the tube rather than on the top.
I looked at my canopy to see what you were talking about with the weld interfering with the C-1202. I did not notice that interference before. Now that you pointed it out, I see that my Canopy Skirt has a bulge in it. If I had it to do over, I would file down the weld at least part way.
Joe