bill v

Well Known Member
I am working on an rv-7 tipup I have the skin clecoed to the fame and on the bottom edges the holes are in both the frame and skin and above them is a row of rivets that the holes are in the skin but not the frame I have about an 1/8 void between skin and frame and every hole is a little different I tried an aluminum shim between skin and frame but the curve is compound and a shim isn't working my though is to put something on the skin and frame that JB weld willnot stick to and then put JB weld on the frame cleco on the skin let it set and then remove the skin and I should have a shim of JB weld that matches the void. I have never tried anything like this and would like to know if anyone else tried something like this?

if that what you mean

Compound curve = compound trim. Take a 1/8 aluminum stock and a file Bill. Work the curve :)

down on the side of the frame

I had to make the same shim you have in your picture but did you do the same down on the side not on the bottom row of rivets but up about four inches where the skin goes over the bottom of the frame. you can hardly see what the shim must look like because you can only look though the rivet holes in the skin and the back edge

I don't remember Bill it's been a while i finished. I will take a look tonight if i have anything in my build archives.