sparkcrafter

I’m in the process of installing the canopy frame in my RV-12iS. When the canopy frame is raised or lowered, the front crossover tube contacts the top outermost corner on both G3X displays. Has anyone else run into this issue? I can’t see any way to adjust the frame to prevent it from contacting the displays. There’s a slight gap when the frame is in the fully down position, but as the frame starts to raise it clips the corner of the G3X displays.

Attachments

• 922AC9D2-4459-43DA-90D9-26961AE50CF6.jpeg
    922AC9D2-4459-43DA-90D9-26961AE50CF6.jpeg
    866.1 KB · Views: 72
Check out step four of page 43CiS-05 in the KAI’s.
Thanks Brian. The interference I’m seeing is more than I think can be fixed by filing the tubing. Maybe 1/8” or so would need to come off to provide adequate clearance.

Has anyone else had to resolve the interference issue with a method other than filing the tube?

I’ve looked at several of the factory built RV-12’s that have broken corners on the G3X displays which I assume is from inadequate clearance in this area, so just want to do what I can to prevent a similar result on my build.

The factory airplanes have the upper left corner of the display sanded/ filed down to clear the frame. I would go at it with a coarse grade of sandpaper for clearance and then move to finer and finer grains to polish it.

I sanded mine down as well. The sanding I did doesn't look great, too rough and asymmetrical. Id recommend measuring, marking off and sanding with progressive grits to try and get the corners and even ans smooth/glossy as possible. Or to at least match the surface finish of the G3xs.

One of the few "wish I could do overs" on my bird.

I ran into this problem also. KAI Section 39 specifies a 7/16" gap between the bow and the instrument panel edge--which is almost enough. My solution was to grind off the outer, upper corners of the G3X displays, just enough for the canopy bow to clear. I don't like it but any alternative I could imagine was worse.