RV8R999

Well Known Member
Not sure if anyone else ran into this issue so I figured I put it here to help someone avoid a small problem...

If you have not installed your fwd top skin yet and are going to do so prior to fitting the canopy frame..do not rivet the FWD top skin ribs (the ones that attach to the roll bar) to the roll bar until you start fitting the canopy frame. With the frame properly adjusted to the fuselage width I needed to spread the aft section of the FWD top skin away from the roll bar on each side about 1/8" each to allow the frame to clear the skin and seat in its fwd most position. The plans DO NOT mention this. Thankfully I thought ahead a little and didn't drill or rivet those holes until I had the canopy frame in place.

Not a huge deal but thought I throw it out there...

Ken

PS. So much for polishing the the aft canopy rail...as the fit to seating pin was just a little too close the first time I slid the frame aft. Of course noting the friction and the loud screeeeeching sound didn't dampen the enthusiasm I had for seeing the frame slide all the way back. Now I have a really neat looking groove exactly down the center of the rail - all the way to the end :) I figure this will now help keep the canopy perfectly aligned ...yeah WHATEVER!!!! I'll anodize it now.