WingedFrog

Well Known Member
Instructions p 34-03 say to adjust the forward bow to 7/16 from the front of the bow to the aft edge of the skin. I get 7/16 on each side but at the center of the bow it is 8/16: would it be a problem to leave it there? I don't want to bend the center further as the sides will be less than 7/16. So far I reduced the gap by banging the bow with a rubber mallet but I don't like it as it shakes the whole frame!

It should't be a problem. Over the width of the frame I doubt that you can notice 1/16 difference. A much bigger issue is how the frame mates to the top of the sides of the fuselage. Several of us who had early kits found that it didn't fit as close as Vans said it should. I don't have my plans handy but I believe it is supposed to be 1/8". I was told not to worry if it was greater. Mine was more like 1/4". The result is a gap that needs weather stripping or you get a lot of cold air.

And even though it seems to be a rigid structure, you can easily bend it into shape to fit well. You are forming the final caopy fit now, so be sure to notice all the verious measurements required.

I had the same problem - it's easy to fix by removing the canopy and supporting the middle seam while pressing down on the outer extremities:

http://www.schmetterlingaviation.com/search/label/Page 34-03

Instructions p 34-03 say to adjust the forward bow to 7/16 from the front of the bow to the aft edge of the skin. I get 7/16 on each side but at the center of the bow it is 8/16: would it be a problem to leave it there? I don't want to bend the center further as the sides will be less than 7/16. So far I reduced the gap by banging the bow with a rubber mallet but I don't like it as it shakes the whole frame!

Perfection not required. Get it as close as you can and build on. The final fit to the airframe will be obtained when you lay up the fiberglass. I never did get the frame perfect, but no one knows now!

Thank you guys, I will go with my preferred option, do nothing! Dave, I thought about your solution but I was concerned of bending the bow without a reference to check against once it's off the fuselage. There is good information in the forum about the rest of the canopy fitting so I know what I am up to now and doing nothing will probably not be good enough from now on!:eek: