jimbo

Well Known Member
Patron
To those canopy frame builders out there:

There are a lot of posts written about canopy frame bending. I've done a lot of reading but found few real good solutions on how best to bend that hi-strength steel. So far at least my attempts haven't been fruitful.

Thought about custom motor cycle shops and those spiffy frames you see on custom bikes. The builders must have the right equipment to bend the canopy frame steel without heating red hot or breaking the joints and re-welding together.

Has anyone used a professional shop to bend your canopy frame? If so, who did you use and what were your experiences? Thinking that there has got to be a better way.

Thanks,
Jim
RV9A

A Thought

Just a thought on this. Seems that EVERY slider canopy frame requires the same tweaking. I've helped with a few and have studied every available web site with Slider builders. They are all the same.

So, I think the best solution would be to have whoever makes the frames adjust their jigs or process to get it closer from the start. I know of a couple of guys who broke the frame trying to make the bend. Costly situation.

Wonder if anyone has talked to Van's about this.

I made a fixture to bend the bows on my canopy. I don't have a picture, but it was simple and effective.

What I did was take two pieces of wood (probably short pieces of 2x4), and cut a large radius on the end of one. I left the other square. Then I screwed each one flat to my workbench. The configuration was something like this (the D is one block, the [] is the other):

[]​
D

Then, I placed the portion of the bow which needed tweaking where the tube rested against the round side of the "D" block with the end against a square side of the other block. Essentially, the tube goes on the tangent between the two blocks. I grabbed the free end of the bow and tweaked it, using the round block as a bending mandrel with the flat block holding the far end.

A few tweaks (not big honkin' bends), then refit and do it again. Remember, tiny little bends. Get aggressive and you'll kink a tube.

With this setup, some tubes are easy to tweak. Others are a challenge, but a little imagination will help...

I also tried rachet straps but there is so much spring in the canopy I could never tell if I moved the frame.