macrafic

Well Known Member
For those of you who have run into the canopy frame assembly being too narrow (mine is 1/4" too narrow) on a tip-up, and have used some kind of "come-along" to expand the frame:

- is 1/4" too much to attempt this?
- when you did this, did it expand on both sides, rather than pulliing out just one side, leaving you with a frame that is not symmetrical?
- any hint of buckling in any part of the frame?
- how much past the 1/4" did you have to expand for the "spring-back" to be just right?

I talked to Van's about this and their suggestion was to use "block" shims between the frame and the canopy (only on the lower part of the frame), filling the gaps between the shims with epoxy. Doable, but I'm curious about the results of those who have gone the "stretching" route.

Flat lay-out on a table?

Did you lay out all four pieces of the frame flat on a work table, and then clamp them and measure the width? I've not heard of the frame pieces being too narrow. Most people I know have to grind off some of the frame "quarters" because they're too wide. It also seems like just a tiny bit of upward angle on the top of the frame pieces would open up the bottom by 1/4" easily. I'd much rather do that than try to "pry open" the spread of those channel sections.

Rich

Just a thought Rich. If your plans are to bond the canopy with SikaFlex,
you will want your canopy frame a 1/2" narrower than the cabin frame
to allow for the sika bead and canopy acrylic. If you are drilling and screwing,
then you should be able to flex the frame out that 1/4" easily. Well, not easily but you get the idea.

Did you lay out all four pieces of the frame flat on a work table, and then clamp them and measure the width? I've not heard of the frame pieces being too narrow. Most people I know have to grind off some of the frame "quarters" because they're too wide. It also seems like just a tiny bit of upward angle on the top of the frame pieces would open up the bottom by 1/4" easily. I'd much rather do that than try to "pry open" the spread of those channel sections.

I hear what you are saying and, yes, I did lay it out, created a jig to hold in place, and put it all together. It is when it was all together that it became 1/4" too narrow. I've noticed from the forum that this is a not altogether rare problem; the completed frame ending up somewhat too narrow or too wide. Everybody has the same reaction, which is, 'don't know how this happened'. Van's even responded that to start over with new straps and splice pieces would not necessarily guarantee success, so they are aware of the issue also.

For those of you who have run into the canopy frame assembly being too narrow (mine is 1/4" too narrow) on a tip-up, and have used some kind of "come-along" to expand the frame:

- is 1/4" too much to attempt this?
- when you did this, did it expand on both sides, rather than pulliing out just one side, leaving you with a frame that is not symmetrical?
- any hint of buckling in any part of the frame?
- how much past the 1/4" did you have to expand for the "spring-back" to be just right?

I talked to Van's about this and their suggestion was to use "block" shims between the frame and the canopy (only on the lower part of the frame), filling the gaps between the shims with epoxy. Doable, but I'm curious about the results of those who have gone the "stretching" route.

Any more responses from those of you who have "gone before" and stretched the canopy frame assembly?