tonyjohnson

Well Known Member
I am preparing the canopy frame and need some help from those of you who have been down this road. I have reviewed the plans, and DWG 44, but find some information missing.

The plans say that you should not drill the holes in the tubes on the roller mechanism that sets the height for the canopy until the correct canopy height is determined. I don't see anything on the plans that shows the correct height. How do you know how high to set the canopy? I am also concerned that the front of the canopy frame will interfer with the handle I installed on the aft side of the roll bar.

Secondly, there is a gap between the front of the canopy frame and the rollbar, about the width of my little finger. DWG 44 shows the canopy frame right up against the roll bar, but I have seen pics of other projects where this gap exists. If the gap is not supposed to be there, it would seem impossible to take the gap out, since the canopy frame is a fixed length and is as far forward as it will go.

dscn1040te1.jpg

Any help would be appreciated.

Tony

Tony

The hieght is set by the bubble. You raise the frame as needed so that the windscreen and canopy surface are lined up smooth and flush.

As for the gap, I have a smidge less than 3/16th gap. I believe you are correct in that once the frame is all the way forward there is not much you can do except make a fairing to close the gap when the canopy is closed. That is of course without resultinhg to "major surgery".

I have the canopy and skirts on, ect, but have not gotten that far as to how the gap will be finished. Hopefully you will get some "more seasoned" answers.

thanks

Wade,

Thanks for your response. Your gap is less than mine. Mine is about 1/2 inch. Hopefully some of the guys who have had a gap as large as mine can weigh in on the issue.

Perhaps I put my rollbar a little too far forward.

The gap between the rollbar and the slider frame is set by where you placed the rollbar. I think it's better too far forward than too far back.

You have about as much as I do and about as much as was shown on "From the ground up".

Your slider appeas to be level with you rollbar, mine is about 3/8th higher before any adjustment at all. Is this just the way you took the picture or was it taken without the rollers in place?

Tony

I am not sure my post was as clear as it should be. When I said fairing, I meant when you make the windscreen fairing to extend the rear edge so that it covers the gap between the roll bar and frame. You will want to do that anyway to help keep water out when parked. And most use some sort of seal material which would fill my gap easily, but I am sure you could use some kind of thicker material.

canopy frame

John,

Since the picture I realized that I had not assembled the roller assembly properly. I corrected that mistake and the canopy frame now sits about 1/2 inch higher than in the pic.

The gap is still the same.

Well then, from what I can tell yours is about the same as mine. So either we both did it right or we both did it wrong but either way, looks good to me.