grover

Well Known Member
after getting the canopy trimmed fairly close, there remains a sizeable gap (a finger canp be inserted between the two pieces, on boths sides) between the canopy and canopy frame toward the aft part of the assembly- - about where the rear seat back reposes. plans say to clamp it down. this seems to put a lot of bend in the canopy. forward, the parts fit pretty well. is this too much gap?

It's been a long time since I fit mine, but a finger's gap near the rear doesn't seem too far out of family. Ideally, you'd like no preload when the fastners are installed, but realistically, there will be some. My gap was a little farther aft, but I let the rivets pull things tight, and it's been fine for over two years of flying.

Paul

I agree

That seems like about what I had. It begins to pull down as you clamp it down.
I used some spring style clamps that I got at Harbor Freight to work it around and bring the plexiglass in to shape. Just don't get to liberal with the trimming until you have it pulled down, especially around the back. Begin clamping the canopy from the rear and gradually work towards the front. Of course make sure that you shop is warm before you do this.
I hope this helps.

It's been a long time since I fit mine, but a finger's gap near the rear doesn't seem too far out of family. Ideally, you'd like no preload when the fastners are installed, but realistically, there will be some. My gap was a little farther aft, but I let the rivets pull things tight, and it's been fine for over two years of flying.

Paul

I had more like 2-3 inches. It really bothered me so I called Van's. It took a while to get a response but they gave me the "clamp it down" thing. That's what I did and it worked out.

Good luck,

Karl