chris mitchell

Well Known Member
Patron
My trusty building assistant Richard and I finally plucked up enough courage to start on the canopy. It was a cool damp longest day here, so we retreated inside the garage, got the space heater fired up and got the place good and warm. We got the flange off without problems and started making cuts to lower the front and rear until the canopy was nearly resting on the canopy bow.

However, there is an increasing distance between canopy and the frame the further aft you go, up to about one inch each side 18" forward of the back end of the canopy is this typical and what happens once you start pulling the edges of the canopy in - so far as I can see it should make the canopy taller and longer? What things should we be careful of now?

Several builders web sites suggest separating the windshield from the remainder of the canopy probably at around the stage we are at now, rather than later as the instructions suggest - is this what most folks do?

So far, no cracks but we are anxious to finish the job neatly. I've read all the previous posts and one thing I don't get from them is how much I need to trim and how useful are the marks on the canopies that Vans make? The red line at the flange/canopy junction looks to be at least an inch too low??

Thanks

Chris

Chris,

It is normal to have the space between the slider frame and the canopy. The manual addresses this. You'll end up pulling the plexi in to the frame before you drill it. Lots of spring lamps help hold it in place.