rjcthree

Well Known Member
Hi y'all. I'm about to make my first cuts on the canopy - die grinder/vans cut off wheel- and I have to admit, I'm feeling like a little more direction about where to cut would be helpful.

I've already spent 2 hours searching archives, btw.

My plan as of now is to cut about 1/8" below where the canopy profile meets the radius of the forming tool, for the front of the canopy. I'm only cutting the front to start, I'll let it show me where it wants to go from there.

Yeah, ok, I'm scared of this one.

Any problem with that plan?

I'm also considering taping the whole thing like I've seen many do, any cons?

Rick 90432 - canopy - absolutely terrified.

Thx . . .big cut made

Thx for the advice - all the forum searching somehow I forgot Dan's site.

Made initial cuts, front and back only. Fit with less than 1" above roll bar. Made big cut. No issues. Fit changed some around the front, as expected, still plenty of mat'l to trim.

My real 2 hp compressor was working awful hard to drive the die grinder, and the die grinder needed 80+ psi using vans wheel. Belt sander with a 120 grit metal sanding belt (blue) was the thing for cleaning edges up first pass. Palm sander took the edges off nicely, quickly.

I'm still nervous about drilling, and handling this thing alone is somewhat scary, but 'think before doing' is the rule that seems to be working.

To whoever told another builder to stop worrying and 'grow a pair', it was good advice. ;)

Rick 90432 - post big cut. On to drilling.