scottw

Fellow RV4ers,
finished riveting the canopy together and at the point of the front fairing, got a few questions the main one being, do you lay it up permanently bonding the plexi and the front top skin or do you release it so you can sand and finish it more easily off the plane, then rivet it on? Seen it done both ways, what are the advantages and disadvantages to each method? How many layers of say 10 oz. is adaquate? If I choose to finish it off the plane, what/where is the best placement of the installing rivets? Thank you for the help!

Scott,

I used clay to make the shape on the plane, then a release agent, then about 4 layers of bias cut fiberglass. Released it, trimmed it to shape, finished it and attached it to canopy with 3M 5200 ( I used that on my canopy too... no rivets). Came out real nice.

Merits

Hi

Both methods have their merits. The way I view is by asking whether i will need to remove it and leave it on screws. In the case if this fairing the only need for it to come off would be if the screen broke.....

In that case a screwed on one would be an advantage, however on my 4 and 9 I have just glassed them straight on, you an get a really smooth line from the turtle deck to the screen that way.

Basically your choice.