N223JH

Well Known Member
Been to forum search and checked the builder logs on this particular question but didn't see anything...

Getting ready to drill the canopy but the side bottom edges are slightly below the top of the square tubing in some places when the canopy is sitting "relaxed" on the front bow and roll bar. I put 1/8" spacers on the square tubing and when canopy sides are perched on them, I need to apply slight pressure to make contact with the front bow. My previous build experience (a slider) tells me this is a no-no.

Wanted to check with you folks to see if you can see any reason not to trim the side edges. They are so nicely finished...

TIA Jim
RV12 finish kit
RV6A O360/CS

Hi Jim,
Yes the sides and front get trimmed. The sides need to be about 1/8 inch above the square tube and the front needs to clear the instrument panel to open.

Good luck.

Vern

Yep--trim sides and bottom

I marked the amount to be trimmed with a sharpie and then sanded to the line using an osillating sander (palm sander) with 80 grit paper. Does the job pretty quickly. I removed about 1/8 from the sides, closer to 1/4 from the front, and maybe 3/32 from the back.

Wayne 120241

PS-- read Marty's blog and use the hand rdrill (got one at Michael's Arts & Crafts) to enlarge the holes in the plex. Used the hand drill and #27 plex bit-- very carefully-- with no cracks.

Canopy clearance

Make sure that you allow slightly more than the minimum specified for clearing the instrument panel. The canopy moves closer to the panel when it is opened about 4 inches. File down the weld on the outboard side of the square tube so that it does not make the skirt bulge out. This "multifunction power tool", item #67256 from Harbor Freight works well for cutting plastic and fiberglass cowling: http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result/?category=&q=67256
If you search their ads in the back of magazines, you might find a coupon for $35. They also have a variable speed one for more money. These really are multi-fuction tools. You can also use it to cut a plaster cast off broken limbs. :D
Joe

Thanks to all for timely replies to my question. The Forum is a great resource. Gonna get cutting when the temp warms up this afternoon. Jim