marvk

I would like to know the differences between a tip up canopy and a slider on a RV7. I understand how they work but what are the differences in the fuselage visability. thanks

I see you're in Tucson.

I'm in Vegas (Henderson). It's true that the tip-up has better visibility. My 7A slider has the advantage when taxiing at 110F and I think looks cooler on the ramp (think 57 Chevy with the window down and your elbow at the window sill). But seriously, the better weather protection (rain) for the avionics and cooler taxi profile is why I chose the slider. Also, I think that wind gusts at the worst moment, and from the worst direction will do less damage to a slider (dust devils anyone?).

As always, YMMV.

There really is NO bad choice. I used the JRW tip up / slider see: http://www.aircraftextras.com/Tip-Up2.htm on mine. Gives great access to the baggage compartment in exchange for about 5/8" of reduced travel of the sliding canopy...

Have fun!

My slider experience

I chose the slider on my RV-7 because...
  • I wanted to be able to taxi with canopy open to keep cool:cool:
  • I wanted to protect the avionics/panel from getting wet (no hinge line right above the panel)
  • I feel safer with canopy open with wind gusts
  • entering / exiting a slider is easier than a tip-up

Now that I've been flying for a year, I've made several major cross country flights, done loops, rolls, immelmans, cuban 8s, etc, and I've started training with the local formation flight group. The negatives about the slider (that I've noticed are...
  • Slider makes access to baggage area a little more difficult (backpacks and travel bags OK, suitcases shouldn't be flying anyways!
  • If slider doesn't seal perfectly, you'll get a cool breeze on the back of your neck from the aft turtledeck
  • Slider windshield bow and brace are in your field of view (not a big deal most of the time)
  • Slider bow is exactly in line with the required "line of sight" of other planes in a formation flight:(

Of all of the negatives, the last one (the formation flight "line of sight") is the only one that really bothers me. I have to lean my head back about 2" to get my sightline on other planes.

All that being said, if I had to do it over again, I would build a slider again. I really like it!

Thanks DakotaHawk!
That was extremely useful info and exactly what I have been looking for myself as I contemplate slider/tip-up on the 7A I am building!
Cheers
Chad

...entering / exiting a slider is easier than a tip-up...
That one may just be a matter of familiarity. I find it MUCH easier to get in and out of my tip-up than the sliders I have tried. But I have done it many more times and have the techniques down.

Another consideration is construction. I built a tip-up and I recall that the time was approximately 200 hrs additional to build the slider, but that was for a 6A. Not sure if it is any easier for the newer versions. I was on the fence and the extra time and expense made the decision for me. No regrets now that I'm flying.

I find it easier to get in and out of the TD's with the tipper. There is nothing behind you to hold on too/push on with the slider.

Some people have handles on the rollbar for the slider which helps you have something to hang on to but they do make good noggin bashers in an accident.

Baggage access to me is a wash since the slider only opens so far and the tipper has the rollbar and rear window over the same area. The combo canopy systems are superior in this regard.

The tipper leaks in the seam, the slider around the back and the joint between front and back.

Tipper is hard to finish perfect around the front and sides. Slider has its own issues as well.

Some say the slider is harder to build than the tipper but most of them are the people that never built a tipper. I think they both have their own set of challenges.

I would not hesitate to use either one. It comes down to personal preferences...

Last edited:
This is one of those neverending debates, and those that have built only one RV typically will defend the choice of what they built as being superior (as is human nature)...and it's a good thing, not bad! It goes right along with the T/D vs. Nosegear, C/S vs. FP, Primer, cowlings, EFISes, etc..

That being said, if you've built multiple RV's in multiple configurations (been there done that) you'll find that it's like everything on these planes. Each has it's pro's and con's and there isn't a choice that is right for everyone. It's a very personal choice and very subjective, not something that can be rationalized objectively (especially from people without experiences physically building both of them 1st hand - not going off of their friends or neighbors experience)...again I'll repeat that's not bad - it's good to see people happy with what they built.

Either can be built to be virtually leak proof. Either can be built to be easy to get in and out of (I can't say I've ever heard of anyone bumping their "noggin" in an accident on a slider handle, but maybe it has...I just don't know that first hand). Both can be a bit of a pain during building, both have their issues, but both have excellent benefits as well. Tipper have better access to some parts of the aft panel, but a wee bit less overall panel space than the slider. Weight is pretty much a wash and crash survivability isn't sufficiently documented as to make a decision that way.

Brian is very right about one thing, the baggage access is pretty much a wash as well....the rollover bar on the tipper is almost in exactly the same spot that the slider stops at, so again that's a wash. Visibility is great in the tipper, but it's also pretty darned good in a slider as well. It can be limiting for some formation work, but also can be a positive (you put someones aileron or other plane part on a certain point of the rollover bar and you have an instantaeous reference point).

In the end I'm personally currently flying a slider RV6, but again it's strictly personal choice. I like to use the center brace to haul my rear up and out of the seat, and I also like to sometimes grab on to it if I'm really horsin the plane around - sometimes I like to grab that bar during 4 point rolls, etc.. :)

Anyway, this is something overall that is purely subjective. These planes are SOOOO much better than anything normally certified that no matter what you build it'll be freakin fantastic - that I can guarantee.

That's my 2 cents as usual!

Cheers,
Stein

Current status: RV-9 T/D at the paintshop this week! It's 360/Catto/James/Slider/AFS/Classic Aero configured. Should be a fun bird.