Robert M

Well Known Member
This past Thursday my son and I went to work on cutting my tip-up canopy. I have been waiting a few (several) months for the warmer weather. I did not follow Van's directions to the “T” however so far everything has worked out. This is pretty much how it went down......

We placed the cutting table, (see picture), in the driveway, out in the sun. We then placed the canopy on the table and placed a small “space heater” inside the canopy bubble. The temperature was only going to reach around 80 degrees.

After the canopy had warmed in the sun for about 3 hours, I began the first cut removing the clamping marks from the bottom pilot side. I went a little less than half way and I had completely destroyed the first of the two cut-off discs I had (see picture). My problem was that I was setting the disc too deep in the material. Any variation from perfectly straight caused the disc to be put in a bind inside the cut slot thus causing it to disintegrate a little. My son commented that we were gonna need about 30 more to finish the job.

Re-thinking my cutting style, I decided to cut only as deep as was necessary to penetrate the plexiglass. This was accomplished by cutting almost all the way through the plexiglass and move forward slightly with the cutting disc. Then I would go back a bit and apply a little more pressure to cut through and then back to the “almost all the way through” cutting. This way of using th cutting disc worked great and I still have the entire second disc left even after doing the entire rest of all of the cuts with it.

After trimming the clamp marks, we place the canopy on the fuselage, (also in the driveway), and marked a little for the next cut. Pulled the canopy off the fuse, made the cuts then back on the fuse for more cuts. Repeated as needed. I don't have any pictures because I was making good time and burning sunshine.

After I got the canopy trimmed enough to be close to the final fit, we placed it back on the cutting table for the cross cut. I used painters blue masking tape to mark the cut across the canopy separating the front from the back. I used the masking tape because it doesn't stick all that well so adjusting the cut line edge was simple. After getting the tape exactly where I wanted it, I placed a layer of clear packing tape to hold the masking tape in place.

Here's were I ventured away from Van's. I cut the canopy at the top center first rather than at the sides. I felt as though any chance for the canopy to separate at the cuts along the sides would cause undo stress at the top. I decided to cut the top first. My son and I, working together, would cut about 4” and then we'd use duct tape across the open cut to hold things together. We continued on through the entire top then worked on one side – then the other, taping aggressively as we went. The separation cut went very smoothly and I was able to make a near perfect straight cut along the edge of the masking tape. The last pic shows the canopy haves.

The cutting table is 48" wide and 72" long, with a 1 1/2" strip attached on each long edge.
canopycut2.jpg

canopycut3.jpg

canopycut1.jpg

Last edited: