bkilby

Well Known Member
Time to cut the canopy... and the air compressor at the hanger is just too small to run the grinder.. so I went by Lowes and picked up the $99 Rotozip tool with metal cutting disk. Set it to run 30,000 rpms (max power) and it cut through the plexi like butter. Worked like a charm! Just wanted to drop a report for those contemplating the tool for the job.

I concur

I used a Rotozip to cut my canopy, too. It did work beautifully. I used it on the smaller cuts, as well. Easy to work with and plenty of cutting power.

Like "butta"

I too used the Rotozip to cut my canopy . . . worked great! Remember to wear a respirator and safety glasses!

Ray

Made "The Big Cut" last night using a plastic cutting disk in my dremel. Worked just fine - was able to follow my line very closely.

I used a rotozip will good results on my canopy also. Just used it to trim the landing light lense too.
Jim Sharkey
RV6 - Finishing Up

RotoZip for Canopy

Thanks for the good reports on the RotoZip. I bought one a few years ago for a kitchen remodeling job and still use it occasionally. (I like to keep my tools once I have "invested" in them.) I have been wondering if it would work on the canopy.

I have a long way to go to get to the canopy but it's nice to know I shouldn't plan on selling the RotoZip.
Thanks again!
Don

Rotozip and Dremel

I'm not familiar with a Rotozip. Is it similar to a Dremmel and do you think a Dremmel can do just as good a job?

Kelly Johnson

I'm not familiar with a Rotozip. Is it similar to a Dremmel and do you think a Dremmel can do just as good a job?

Kelly Johnson

http://www.rotozip.com/Shop/ProductDetail.htm?IID=69281.
Lowes has a package for $99 with right angle cutting attachment (for cut off wheels), diamond cutting wheel, metal cutting wheel, tile wheel, couple of standard spiral bits for general cutting and carry bag. It is bigger than dremmel tool.
Previous poster stated he just used a dremmel tool with good results

I just made the big cut (and other cuts) on the canopy with a Dremel tool and found it worked very well. Yes, wear goggles and a respirator. Cover anything you don't want covered in plexi-dust.

Kelly Johnson

It's a Dremel on steroids built by Bosch! You can feel it gyroscopically precess when you rotate it.

Jim