MrNomad

Well Known Member
We were cruising towards completion of our 6A in record time, then, WHACK, the tip up canopy cracked at the front corner, passenger side.

We've already read the many posts on how to stop drill and fix & we do not plan to replace the canopy. Some folks suggest Sika Flex, others suggest windshield adhesive. Either way, we'll make a logbook entry so no subsequent buyer is surprised.

What we're looking for now are creative ideas how to make an ugly wart into a beautiful asset. If this was the 60"s, I'd paste daisies over the crack but I'm sure there are better ideas.

Thank you in advance for your ideas how to make this blemish into something useful or attractive.

crackn.jpg

crack1p.jpg

How about a humungous fiberglass fairing job:eek:? Or you could create a "Spider Man" cobwebby design and hide the crack in the artwork. Or Lead Stain Glass overlay.:)

Roberta

Well whatever you do your gonna need to stop drill it. I would do that sooner rather than later as it will grow if you don't.

Weld it up with that thin as water acrylic adhesive and polish it out is about all that can be done. Looks like it is too high to cover it up in glass.

If you have the budget, I would replace it. I know you said you are not going to but you might wish you did. I could not go thru the remaining steps needed to finish that canopy knowing it was already cracked in a very visible spot...

Maybe you can find someone with the rear glass cracked and split the cost of a new one with them.

Last edited:
My -6A...

...has EAA decals over the cracks (that look like yours) on each side. I've seen other EAA decals in the same place, so perhaps this is becoming SOP!

We were cruising towards completion of our 6A in record time, then, WHACK, the tip up canopy cracked at the front corner, passenger side.

We've already read the many posts on how to stop drill and fix & we do not plan to replace the canopy. Some folks suggest Sika Flex, others suggest windshield adhesive. Either way, we'll make a logbook entry so no subsequent buyer is surprised.

What we're looking for now are creative ideas how to make an ugly wart into a beautiful asset. If this was the 60"s, I'd paste daisies over the crack but I'm sure there are better ideas.

Thank you in advance for your ideas how to make this blemish into something useful or attractive.

crackn.jpg

crack1p.jpg