scsmith

Well Known Member
Hey,
whats the general consensus on canopy covers? Is the cover sold by Van's a good choice, or are there other suppliers that offer better quality or value?

This will be for an RV-8.

Bruce's are nice

Steve,

Take a look at Bruces. They are local in Sunnyvale. I think it may be a bit bulky for travel and camping, but great for parking outside at home if needed.
They have a wide selection of materials and I've used their products- high quality, excellent fit, and everything can be customized for the customer.

Tim

Bruce's

We use Bruce's canopies on all of our LSAs. They hold up very well in the rain and heavy winds. They're worth the extra couple of pounds in my book.

Hey,
whats the general consensus on canopy covers? Is the cover sold by Van's a good choice, or are there other suppliers that offer better quality or value?

This will be for an RV-8.

I have Van's lightweight canopy cover for my RV-8. I recently used it on an 11 day coast to coast trip. Got rained on a couple of times---one time at Land Of Enchantment Fly In where there was a very heavy downpour lasting several minutes. Nothing inside got wet, not even any water on the skin underneath the cover. It seemed to shed water very well.

On this trip it worked well for me. I can't vouch for Oregon weather where you might have rain for days on end , so others will have to chime in here.

If you're only going to use it for short trips and your plane is normally hangared, I would recommend it.

You will get numerous recommendations for Bruce's Custom Covers. They're great, and they are the uncontested choice for extended outdoor tiedown.

I think for short 2-3 day trips where your plane will be tied down outside, you will find that Van's lightweight cover is totally acceptable.

Take a look at Bruces. They are local in Sunnyvale. I think it may be a bit bulky for travel and camping, but great for parking outside at home if needed.
They have a wide selection of materials and I've used their products- high quality, excellent fit, and everything can be customized for the customer.

I have Van's heavyweight cover and I think Bruces makes it. It looks identical in construction to the old Bruces' cover I had for a different airplane.

But since you are in the bay area, just call Bruces and pick one up.

In my experience, the lightweight cover works well.....except when you try to put it on by yourself when the winds are greater than about 5 kts. I think the heavy cover stays put to allow one person to attach it without the thing blowing all over the place.

Chuck Olsen
Tehachapi, CA
RV-7A

I've had good luck with Van's lightweight cover for my RV-8. I like that it has three tie-down points.

Chris

Mention AOPA

If you decide on the Bruce's and are going to get it right away, tell them you saw them at the AOPA booth.

Ask them if they would be kind enough to extend the 10% show discount to you.

Worth a try.

Ted

I use the cover from Cleaveland on my -7A. My plane has gotten stuck in the rain several times, including once in a HUGE downpour. Nothing inside got wet, even with my unsealed tip-up canopy. Nary a drop was to be found. This cover is very light weight.

I would recommend this canopy cover to anyone.

Vans

My 9A is hangared so the lightweight cover from Vans is more than sufficient. I used it at the Three Forks Montana fly-in this past summer during an all-day rain storm. All was dry.
One item tho, the cover will roll around the fuse if the plane is parked in a crosswind. I don't know if the heavyweight or Bruce covers have the same tendency. Some RV'ers have addressed the issue by sewing 2 additional straps to hook in the flap push holes.

Steve

thanks guys

This is all very helpful info.

putting canopy covers on in the wind is always fun. You should see me with my sailplane!

I originally had the vans light weight cover and the only thing I didn't like was that it did not come down far enough on the sides to cover both vents. I now have a cover from Flight line Interiors which is a little heavier weight than than vans but not as heavy as Bruces, I've been very happy with it.

Sew your own

Just wondering if there is a pattern for a 9A cover that I could sew myself. Any person know of one.. would appreciate.Thanks

Steve,

I've been extremely happy with my cover from Bruce's. I went with it because of the fit ad the lining material, which was recommended by a number of people who had seen other covers scratch the plexiglass when the wind came up and they moved on the canopy. I figured that for what I put into the canopy, it was worth it to buy a great cover! Yes, t is heavier than the lightweight models, but it definitely stays put in a wind. Folded and in it's bag, it takes up half of the little "L"-shaped part of the forward baggage compartment. Mine lives there with some tools and spare oil when i travel.

Of course, my plane lives in a nice hangar, and is frequently hangared when traveling as well. I use th cover when the plane is going to be on a ramp all day (to keep out the sun and prying eyes), or for overnights when hangars aren't available. But when I need to use it, I want it to stay put, and not do any damage, and the Bruce's cover does both o those things very well.

Paul