painless

Well Known Member
Group:

I will be flying my 6A to the paint shop this week and I assume that it will need to sit outside for a bit before they get to it. I have one of Van's lightweight canopy covers that I am contemplating whether I will use or not.

My concern is if it causes any scratching or maring in any way of the canopy plexiglass. It has been quite windy around here lately and I have visions of that canopy cover flapping around and acting like a scotchbrite pad. I plan to snug it down tight, but still I assume there will be some looseness.

What have all of those that use them at flyins, like OSH, experienced? Am I too paranoid??

Heck...its going to be bad enough leaving my plane there in the first place! Can you say separation anxiety?? :eek:

Regards,

I have a Van's lightweight cover. I have used it on trips and Oshkosh with no ill effects, so far.

Roberta

Thanks Roberta. Guess I'll take it along.

BTW....Randy at Central Aviation in Watertown is doing the painting honors for me. You should go up there in a couple weeks and check on progress for me! ;)

Regards,

I will have to do that. I haven't seen Randy in a while. I'm sure he will do your RV proud. His wife did my seats and they are really nice. Good people.

Roberta

If your plane is gonna sit outside for a week or so I would tape the fuel covers to keep water out. I can't seem to get mine to seal water tight.

A few years ago I had my RV6 parked on the ramp at Palm Springs for four days. My tie down was right at the edge adjacent to a sand dune. My canopy cover was strapped down tight but the wind blew 30mph plus day and night while I was there. When we uncovered the plane I was in for a shock - with the exception of the area in front of me, the entire canopy (tip up) looked like a milk jug! Fine sand and dust had gotten under the cover and the constant buffeting of the cover worked like an orbital sander. The only area that remained clear was the region where the cover was really tight, a strip above the glare shield about 8" tall. About 40 hrs and several Micro Mesh kit later we managed to restore the canopy to clear again. Since then I leave the cover off if I have to park in a dusty area when high winds are expected.

Martin Sutter
Building and flying RV's since 1988

Martin Sutter said:
A few years ago I had my RV6 parked on the ramp at Palm Springs for four days. My tie down was right at the edge adjacent to a sand dune. My canopy cover was strapped down tight but the wind blew 30mph plus day and night while I was there. When we uncovered the plane I was in for a shock - with the exception of the area in front of me, the entire canopy (tip up) looked like a milk jug! Fine sand and dust had gotten under the cover and the constant buffeting of the cover worked like an orbital sander. The only area that remained clear was the region where the cover was really tight, a strip above the glare shield about 8" tall. About 40 hrs and several Micro Mesh kit later we managed to restore the canopy to clear again. Since then I leave the cover off if I have to park in a dusty area when high winds are expected.

Martin Sutter
Building and flying RV's since 1988
I second Martin's advice and will add that when windy & dusty, the canopy cover will also do the 'orbital' dance on the (painted/clear coat) top skin in front of the windscreen :eek: Rosie

Canopy covers

I third Martin's advice. Last year on a trip to Denver, I left my RV with the canopy cover on that I received when I bought the airplane. It is a light weight cover but I think it is home made rather than Vans. It is possibly made from a table cloth, but it does have a very soft fabric spun on the inside of it. Unfortunately, it doesn't fit perfectly and is difficult to get and remain tight in strong winds, which is what we had while I was gone.

When I returned, I found the cover somewhat askew and the canopy scratched in a few places. Luckily they aren't bad scratches and I haven't bothered to buff them out yet. I learned my lesson on canopy covers though, from now on I'll leave it off and don't think I'll try one of Vans as a replacement. I did go out and buy a couple of thoses cheap sun shields for the inside of the canopy though, but haven't figured how to set them up yet to keep the canopy from becoming an oven while sitting out in the summer (fortunately it's normally hangered and only sits out on trips)

Rick Luck

A few white beach towels do wonders in protecting an airplanes interior. I always carry at least one when flying bizjets. When I park, I spread one out on top of the glareshield and then drape it down over the panel and control columns. Keeps out the sun's heat, and keeps unwanted "eyes" off your panel. On a Vans, one would probably go from the windshield, straight back over the seats and cover everything. They will remove morning dew, they feel good under your feet while flying with shoes off, they clean easily at home when they become dirty and they don't weigh much, either.

Last edited:
You know, that probably is good advice to leave the cover off if you aren't attending the plane regularly. I had mine on at Page, AZ for a few days, but it wasn't windy. Ohskosh was only at night.

Randy will probaby be running it in and out and probably won't want to bother with it. Being that it's cold out now, the cover isn't as critical. When my Cherokee was there for painting, it wasn't covered. Leave it at home.

Roberta

I talked to Randy today and he said that he would be able to put N782P inside. Good news.

Like you said Roberta, he probably won't want to mess with it.

Hey Jeff,

Give me a shout when the plane is underway and I'll pop in by Randay and check it out and send you some pics.

Roberta

Roberta:

Just flew it down there today (1/10). It is scheduled for him to start on it on Monday the 15th. He's a busy guy. Had one in the back being re-assembled, one in front ready for primer, and another outside that had just been stripped.

That would be great if you could look in sometime. I may go down there in a couple weeks and see how things are going.

Was hard getting in my friend's plane and flying away......sniff.... :(

I feel your pain!! :( ! My Cherokee was there for about 2 months back in '96. It it had a complete strip and paint, new glass all around, complete new interior and head liner, new battery cables, Knot's two U speed mods......... It was drop dead gorgeous when we got it back.

Roberta

Geico266 said:
If your plane is gonna sit outside for a week or so I would tape the fuel covers to keep water out. I can't seem to get mine to seal water tight.
Don't have any experience with mine leaking yet and they've seen rain
twice, once very heavy, with no water penetration.

I applied a thin coating of fuel lube on the fuel cover gasket and maintain it.
Seems to work well for me.