RV7Guy

Well Known Member
I'm searching out canopy covers and noticed Van's has a lightweight version and a heavier version. Are there any other companies out there that do RV canopy covers?

Since I'm hangared most of the time I'd only need it for traveling.

As always, thanks in advance.

Vans is OK

I also hanger my plane, but the light weight Van's cover works well on trips. It is made of something like sail cloth and comes in a bag that takes up very little room or weight. I don't know about other sources, but I have been happy with mine. Only problem is that if there is any wind it becomes a sail. In the wind it takes two to get it on. Usually someone around to help if you're by yourself. I dont' think that would be unique to Vans cover. take care.

Becki Ornduff

Hi Darwin,

I got my cover from Becki Ornduff who also did my interior. It is very light, fits well, and doesn't seem to come loose in the wind. She also made a nice bag for it out of the same material. I'm very happy with it because it is sturdy enough for regular use, but light enough to carry in the baggage compartment without any significant weight penalties. Her price was reasonable and the work is very nice as well. I'm not claiming it to be better or worse than any others available, but if I was in the market for one I would certainly give her a call.
Regards,
clearlake0533op.jpg

Is it "Bruces" that makes covers that all others are judged by?

That being said-- I bought I lightweight from Van's after DanC gave it the trip thumbs up.

Don't you hate putting a new, unfamiliar canopy cover on in front of six guys standing by another hangar watching you? Four ways it can fit and it took me three trys. :(

Mark,

Your response made me laugh because it is so true. :D The more you struggle with the cover and the wind there is always somebody watching. This may be so obvious to some, but when I saw this technique at LOE by an experienced cover putter onner and taker offer the lights when on and planets aligned. When taking the cover off they unstrapped the back while leaving the front strapped so that the wind would not carry it away. Then the cover was folded forward until all the way to the front strap. At this point the front strap was un-snapped and then the cover was folded down to a managable size. After showing off their airplane all day the owners covered the airplane back up in reverse order in a pretty good wind with no struggle at all. Since watching in awe as these folks did this in the wind I have copied their technique.

Bruce's!

After years of hearing "Grumman Gang" folks crow about Bruce's covers, I decided that the -8 was going to get one for those times she might sit outside on an overnight. Having seen a canopy get slowly scratched by a single-layer, unlined cover, and being total paranoid about scratching the -8's big bubble, I decided to go with the standard-weight, lined cover. Not cheap - but then neither is a new canopy! They come custom made, with your N-number on the side, and trim colors matched to your paint (or, in my case, to my future paint...)

Yeah, it's a luxury - but it really is outstanding! (And comes with a matching bag...)

Paul

I guess if the wind is blowing and any sand/grit/dust etc gets between the cover and the plexi, it will scratch. Irrespective of the type of cover.
I would also guess the best cover is one with lots of straps which ties down tight and doesnt flutter in the wind.
I have a Vans lightweight one ,havent used it yet, but am thinking of adding a couple of extra straps to stop any possible movement.

Interior

Hey Bryan, you said Becky did your interior, could you direct me to some pictures? I'd like to see what she did for you.

:)

Van's Cover for canopies

We've used the lightweight cover from Van's on the RV-4 and it fits very well. The straps are adequate for most wind and it is used full time in an open hangar. This cover is made from Nylon and doesn't scratch the bubble.

I intend to get one for our RV-8 when the time comes.

Cheers, Pete

Bruce's Custom Covers

A couple of years ago I ordered my upholstery kit with sewn seat pads and side pockets from Becki Orndorff and I ordered the canopy cover too. She told me we don't make the covers anymore and she recommended Bruce's Custom Covers. The company advertizes in AOPA Pilot, has a web site http://www.aircraftcovers.com and a toll free number 800-777-6405. I ordered from them and I was very impressed with the precise fit and high quality of the product. Each one is custom made for your aircraft based on standard aircraft model dimensions plus options and special buyer specified features. The four corners are color coded to match the airplane and to orient it for first time everytime correct installation (the single color corners to the front and double color corners to the rear). The "N" number is sewn into both sides. There are small loops for sticking in the ends of the pull-down straps so they do not flutter against the plane in windy conditions. The strap latches are on both sides, front & rear and they are two prong durable plastic that will not scratch the plane nor rust. The inner surface is exceptionally soft white material that will readily reveal foreign material that would scratch the canopy. When removed, I fold mine length wise down the middle; then fold it length wise once again (four layers); then fold the resulting long narrow shape from end to end until it is a small package; then I wrap the straps around the folded cover and stick it in the bag that comes with the cover. It reasonably light and compact and it stays in a small area of the bagage compartment when the plane is in the hangar at home and it goes on everytime I make a trip and park. It keeps the interior protected from the sun, casual observation and tampering (a covered RV canopy is not near the magnet for close up observation and theft as an uncovered cockpit under glass). The company makes covers for every element of the airplane for outdoor storage or long term indoor storage where you just want to keep it clean from dust, bird droppings, etc. I have not seen any cover to match those from Bruce's Custom Covers and I have walked the line and compared covers.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Just happened to see these

I'm so far away from needing a cover it isn't even funny but I did see covers on the Cleaveland Tools website. I really like tools I have bought from them. My favorite part is order today and get it tomorrow because they are close ot me. :) I have never even seen the covers but will check them out when I get to that point. The description says they weigh 2 pounds and come with a bag. Just another option.

Canopy scratching from sand under the cover?

Has anyone had experience with canopy covers in a windy environment, with a lot of sand being blown around? Will the canopy get scratched? Wouldn't it be better to place a reflective cover straight across the cockpit between the canopy rails? This way most of the heat could be kept out without the cover fluttering in the wind. You could even leave the canopy partly open to reduce the heat underneath it.