DanH

Legacy Member
Mentor
I'm going to need a custom canopy cover for my tipover -8. No problem getting it made. Miss Patti's sewing machine is the equivalent of a CNC Haas and she knows exactly how to use it.

Here's the question.....what material makes the best canopy cover?

Sunbrella is...

I'm going to need a custom canopy cover for my tipover -8. No problem getting it made. Miss Patti's sewing machine is the equivalent of a CNC Haas and she knows exactly how to use it.

Here's the question.....what material makes the best canopy cover?

...one material used by airlane canopy makers. It is good for long term outside tie down, but might be too heavy for a "travelling" cover.

Comes in lots of colors....:)

http://www.planecover.com/other/colors_page.htm

See Bruce's

Dan,

I have a Bruce's Custom Cover for my Bonanza and am quite happy with it. See the following link for his FAQs:

http://www.aircraftcovers.com/faq.html#answer06

In it, he mentions using a "proprietary" reflective material, made especially for them, but also mentions Sunbrella. You can get Sunbrella at most fabric stores, and line it with a felt or micro fiber material. I might suggest that you get some sample pieces, put it under a slow speed buffer, and make sure it doesn't scratch or react with a scrap piece of plexi.

Whatever Bruce uses definitely works well and does not scratch.

Don

I would definitely try and get the stuff that Bruce uses on the inside of his covers - it is fuzzy and soft and you just KNOW it is not going to hurt the plexi....

I am an absolute fanatic about not letting the inside of my cover touch anything other than the canopy - I don't' want to get any dirt embedded that will eventually touch the bubble.

Paul

I sewed one and in the process I was looking to get the same material as Bruce but could not find it any where that they would sell the fabric. If you ever find out, I would be grateful to let me know.

I ended up buying the fabric from a fabric store and line it with a soft/thin fleece.

I just bought one from Planecover...

In it, he mentions using a "proprietary" reflective material, made especially for them, but also mentions Sunbrella. You can get Sunbrella at most fabric stores, and line it with a felt or micro fiber material. I might suggest that you get some sample pieces, put it under a slow speed buffer, and make sure it doesn't scratch or react with a scrap piece of plexi.

...the sunbrella color link in my previous post, and he accidently shipped it without the inner lining.

When I called, he said that 80+% of his covers do not use an inner lining. As Paul said, the risk of fine grit getting held in the fuzzy stuff and scratching your canopy may be greater than the coarser material rubbing on the plexi...

It might be worse if you live - or tie down - in dry dusty areas of the country.

I also have that Bruce's cover. That soft inside is very nice. But it's awfully heavy to use as a traveling cover.

I'll be looking for alternatives.

Cover material

Odyssey Softouch is used by some aircraft cover makers, the fabric is a combination of an acrylic coated woven polyester with a soft non-woven backer of 100% polyester.
The weight is 11 oz. / sq. yd. and made by Marchem Coated Fabrics located in New Haven, MO. 573-237-4444
The Softouch fabric has a slightly different texture but is very close to the fabric used by Bruce's Custom Covers. (I have both here in my shop.)
This fabric would be overkill for a day cover.

http://www.marchemcfi.com/softouch.html

I got some of the bubble pack-like material at the hardware store that has a reflective coating on one side. I cut and taped it together with clear packaging tape so it would roughly match the interior shape of my canopy. I originally put a series of round velcro patches around to hold it in place, but they didn't hold it up well. So I made two 1/8" music wire braces to hold it in place inside the cockpit up against the inside of the canopy. One goes fore and aft and the other side-to-side. They are cut in the middle and have pieces of brass tubing soldered to one half that the other half plugs into. The ends fit into holes drilled front and back and on the sides. The reflective coating reflects the sun's rays so that the inside of the cockpit doesn't get too hot. There is still some heating going on from the smoky canopy tint. I also cut out a piece to fit each rear window but the velcro buttons hold them in place. Having the cover on the inside keeps it from getting blown away from strong winds as happend to me in Casper on my friend's plane, keeps it from getting stolen, and provides security so none can see what's inside.

Sounds like the car cover folks may have the right product----how about just buying a car cover, and re-shape it to fit, let Miss Patty work here magic on it.

Probably enough material there for two or three RV canopy covers, get a buddy to split the cost.

No need to buy a car cover. One of the excellent links Don posted is a materials supplier (Rochford). They list Kimberly Clark Evolution at $7.99 a yard, which is darn near free in airplane dollars. ;)

Also emailed customer service at Car Cover World and asked if I could buy fabric (KC Noah and Weathershield HP). Quick response was "How much do you want?". Need to take some measurements this weekend.

Thanks everyone.....keep it coming, this is great.

The Odyssey III

Odyssey Softouch is used by some aircraft cover makers, the fabric is a combination of an acrylic coated woven polyester with a soft non-woven backer of 100% polyester.
The weight is 11 oz. / sq. yd. and made by Marchem Coated Fabrics located in New Haven, MO. 573-237-4444
The Softouch fabric has a slightly different texture but is very close to the fabric used by Bruce's Custom Covers. (I have both here in my shop.)
This fabric would be overkill for a day cover.

http://www.marchemcfi.com/softouch.html

...product at 6.5 oz / sq yd sounds like it might make a good, lighter weight "travelling cover" that is still waterproof.

http://www.marchemcfi.com/fabric-finder.html

Unfrtuneately, my home sewing person does not do covers...:eek:

Last edited:
.... like it might make a good, lighter weight "travelling cover" that is still waterproof.

Careful here - per Bruce's advice, you really dont a truly waterproof fabric. It needs to breathe or you are inviting mold. Water repellent good, waterPROOF bad.

erich

Correct...

Careful here - per Bruce's advice, you really dont a truly waterproof fabric. It needs to breathe or you are inviting mold. Water repellent good, waterPROOF bad.

erich

...I should have used the term water repellant...

However, for a "travelling cover" which would only be used for trips away from a home hangar, even water proof might not be too bad....:D

If it's suitable for boat covers, it should stand the wet/humidity we would see for planes tied down outside for short periods of time.

This is the Odyssey III advertising blurb...

• Lightweight fabric
• Soft underside that won't scratch
• 18 stock colors
• Mildew resistant
• Highly water repellent

Last edited:
I used siliconized rip stop nylon from Seattle fabrics.They had every thing I needed.
Hauled my lady's sewing mobile to the hanger and-------- stuffs into a small sack and light works good and looks OK.

Hail protection

Does anybody know what kind of material is used for covers with hail protection? Is there a sort of padding?