x55pilot

Has anyone changed their Tip Up canopy to a Slider? If so what are the issues to convert to a slider, is there and easy way to come up with a parts list.

Change Canopy Tip Up to a Slider

Has anyone changed their Tip Up canopy to a Slider? If so what are the issues to convert to a slider, is there and easy way to come up with a parts list.[/QUOTE]

I seriously doubt it. The two variants' fuselage structures are quite different regarding crash bar placement and canopy attachment. I couldn't find any such discussion in a VAF search.

In any case, I recommend you call Vans Mothership to discuss.

Last edited:
I considered swapping canopies with another builder but I'm glad I didn't! I love the view out of the tip up but I wouldn't trade for my slider now that I'm done! I backed out of the trade at the last minute. I researched it and it is indeed "doable" but either canopy is a project in itself and retrofitting your kit will add lots of hours! I'm bettin if you stay with your tip up, you will LOVE it! :)

Has anyone changed their Tip Up canopy to a Slider? If so what are the issues to convert to a slider, is there and easy way to come up with a parts list.

I do not work for Van's so the info may only be worth what you are paying me for it.

Looking at the RV-6 drawings, it should not be a difficult issue to convert from Tip Up to Slider canopy. There is extra structure in the fuselage for the tip up. Switching canopies, the extra structure will be left in the fuselage. The slider has two stiffeners added in the skin behind the canopy in the baggage compartment. IF the skin on the slider is large enough, one may be able to add the stiffeners. The bulkhead / ribs in front of the panel are different as is the skin over them. It is not going to be a fast job but if you built a standard build RV-6, it should not be beyond your abilities.

I am typing this from memory. IF I were going to do this, I would get all the drawings, study the differences, then make my decision.