Michael Henning

Well Known Member
I bonded the Todds canopy to the frame today using the 3M 5200 Fast Cure (white). I masked everything off, prepped as per 3M instructions, and it was on in under an hour. I got really nice fillet joints all the way around with clean lines. Todd has said he has done a bunch of them with no issues, to include a plane that flipped over on landing, and the canopy stayed put. No cracking at all too. I did a test piece on a piece of trimmed canopy and some tubing to see how strong it will be. If it seems week, I will add some type of mechanical fasteners. I will attach the side skins to the canopy frame tomorrow. I used Daytons method for fitting the side skins... it worked great. Thanks Dayton.:)

Could you just remind us of Dayton's method for fitting the RV-4 canopy side skins please.

I tried taking the test piece apart..... its not budging at all! Todd was right, this is the way to go. I used one tube of the 5200, and had a little to spare.

do you think

this sealant will work on my rv8? I am looking for a good sealant. I want to avoid fasteners because of cracks. I looked at sika flex, but some are still reporting cracks and I think it maybe because of some of the chemicals in sida flex itself that may be crazing the plexi. Not sure though. There are so many variables that can crack a canopy. This stuff might be the best for my canopy. I would appreciate any insight.

bird

My canopy is a Todds canopy, and this is what he recommended to use. I masked off everything because this stuff sticks like crazy, and Todd has said that he has never had any cracks or crazing. He reported that even if you flip the plane over, that bond will not break. My brother works for American Airlines and uses 3M 5200 for stuff that they never want to break. It remains slightly flexible to allow for expansion/contraction of the canopy. Give Todd a call if you have any questions. The cost of the 10 oz. tube was $25 and one tube was more than enough.

sounds very good

Do you leave a space in between the frame and canopy and fill it with the sealant? Like an 1/8in. gap or so?

bird

I had purchased some aluminum washers for that purpose, but after speaking with 3M, they said it wasn't necessary. I attached the canopy first, and when it was dry, I then applied the side skirts using clecoes and 5200. When that dried I cut some AN426-4 rivet heads off to fill the holes where the pop rivets would have otherwise gone. It looks great and is strong. I have not been able to break the joint on my test piece.

this sealant will work on my rv8? I am looking for a good sealant. I want to avoid fasteners because of cracks. I looked at sika flex, but some are still reporting cracks and I think it maybe because of some of the chemicals in sida flex itself that may be crazing the plexi. Not sure though. There are so many variables that can crack a canopy. This stuff might be the best for my canopy. I would appreciate any insight.
bird

The SikaFlex product in question was designed specifically for use on plexiglass. I can't imagine it would lead to crazing. I think the cracking you mentioned must be due to some of the other variables you mentioned.

I am interested in hearing more about this 3M product, though. Do you need to use a primer? Special cleaners?

No primer, just a tube of 5200 and mask off real well. This stuff sticks to everything, even if it just "lays" on to metal or plastic. I read the MSDS on Sikaflex and 5200, they appear to be a similar material. I would imagine it could be used on a Vans' canopy. The 5200 comes in black or white, I used the fast cure (24 hours, vs. 7 DAYS).

This stuff wins for me, my finishing kit is due to arrive tommorrow. I am going to be ordering this stuff, I found some as cheap as 12 bucks a tube for the fast set. I may be wrong about the sika flex causing crazing, but maybe its the primer. I know that some people that have used it have had cracks. But as I mentioned it could be another problem, such as local stress due to too tight of a canopy latch or something like that. I am going to try the 5200 and will report the results with pics, if i can figure out how to put pics on here:eek:. thanks everyone for all the input.

bird

You will like it. My canopy is done now. It came out nice. I will clean hangar tomorrow and start engine mount/landing gear phase. I want to fly this summer.