yankee-flyer

Well Known Member
Fitted the canpoy frame today and discovered two things

1) Page 34-03 The specified AN4-12A bolts to attach the end of the support struts to the fuselage bottom out (run out of threads) before all the lateral play is taken up-- you can move the spacer back and forth a bit on the bolt shank. Looks like a thick washer under the bolt head would take care of this but then it's "not as per the plans". Anyone else run into this?

2) the canopy frame isn't quite square on the fuselage-- one side is even with the longeron while the other overhangs maybe 3/16. My guess ai that a healthy "tug" to one side would solve this but I'd like to hear from someone before doing so.

Thanks again (and again, and again)

Wayne 120241

It needs to stay there Wayne. The bottom half of the canopy strut moves laterally as the canopy goes up and down. Change it to a 6 and the canopy won't work.

Hey Wayne

If the canopy frame is not even on both sides, you may need to give it a 'tug' or something. Needs to be fairly even I'd say.

John Bender

Hi Wayne, I had the same problem, with about the same excess overlap. I initially thought the way to fix it was to increase the bend on the rhs of the fwd bow. I found it very hard to do in any controlled way. You need jigs and a big screw driven ram. On a second look I realized that the two fwd arms (vertical 1/8" sheet) were not flat, when checked with a straight edge. I held the fwd rib welded to the fwd arm in a vice, put a wooden lever through the hole and and gently bent the assembly to angle the fwd arm out a bit. I checked progress by putting a straight edge on the inside of the forward arm. The method worked and it fixed the misalignment. But beware, those arms are a lot softer than they look.
Rod

Hi Wayne, I had the same problem, with about the same excess overlap. I initially thought the way to fix it was to increase the bend on the rhs of the fwd bow. I found it very hard to do in any controlled way. You need jigs and a big screw driven ram. On a second look I realized that the two fwd arms (vertical 1/8" sheet) were not flat, when checked with a straight edge. I held the fwd rib welded to the fwd arm in a vice, put a wooden lever through the hole and and gently bent the assembly to angle the fwd arm out a bit. I checked progress by putting a straight edge on the inside of the forward arm. The method worked and it fixed the misalignment. But beware, those arms are a lot softer than they look.
Rod