IowaRV9Dreamer

Well Known Member
I'm down to the last 10 or so rivets on the last skin on the plane - the F-7106 forward top skin.

The aft-most rivets on this skin hold the skin to the longeron aft of the instrument panel. Because of the shape of the canopy deck flange, and the wiring I've already installed, it's pretty much impossible for me to buck these rivets. I've tried several times. The best I can do is with a crowbar and I'm not getting good results.

I'd like to use MK-319BS rivets, which seem to fit pretty well in the skin dimples, but they don't have a long enough grip length.

Does anyone know of an alternative?

I feel your pain Dave. The only way is to find somebody and train him/her to shoot those rivets. It was next to impossible for me to do it alone and next door veteran came to the rescue. I did couple practice sessions with him and we were able to finish those several stubborn rivets within few days :)

PS I saw an RV where entire forward skin was on screws. The owner is a farmer and had no help at all.

Edit; I see you are building slider my comment was on tip up.

Last edited:
Cherry CR3214-4-? rivets will work along the edge of the top/side fwd skin. (I'm not sure what length you will need for that application) They have a -4 diameter with the head of a -3 rivet. I think Spruce has them and GAH Co. I've used them in several places and will probably need to use them for parts of the top front skin also.

Vlad - I've been trying this with two people (me bucking). The access just isn't there. On my next RV I'll trim the edges of the canopy deck flanges so I can get in there with my regular bucking bar.

Mike - thanks so much for the reference. I'm going to find some of the cherrymax structural rivets and use them. No joy at ACS, I'll check GAHCO next.