rwarre

Well Known Member
I had a bad feeling about my cross-country when the fuel pump at my airport wasn't working. I had enough gas for two hours, so I decided to change my waypoints to accomodate the fuel. I knew there was bad weather in the forcast, so I got up early, 4:00 am ugh, to get a head start. Unfortunately, even though I was early, I didn't beat the weather. Radar showed bad precip and temperatures were close to freezing. Sometimes it's wise to wait for a better day.

Totally understandable. I am waiting on weather window for trip from Houston to Minnesota for a few day visit. Looking at the charts, I'm not going today, or tomorrow....might have a chance on Wednesday or Thursday. It's good to be flexible - retired from the old job, and a new job I can do anywhere I have a connection for the laptop.

No use pushing bad weather - it always wins.

Very well said. Things you only do once...push weather and fuel. Scared the bejesus out of myself with both during operational missions when I was younger and invincible. NEVER since, NEVER again - intentionally. You made a wise decision.

Always be able to say no.

I was supposed to attend a meeting today at an airpot that is about 20 minutes by air but about 2 hours to drive. I showed up at work and hauled out the company pea shooter that we use for this sort of thing. After the external pre-flight I jumped in and found the master switch in the on position. Turned it off, turned it on and tried a couple electrical items and confirmed the battery was completely dead. We have all manner of power carts around so it would have been simple enough to plug in and start on external power then go but the nagging thought was what happens when the alternator dies 2 minutes after I take off? Now you are airborne in class bravo airspace with no radio, no transponder, manually extending the gear, the flaps don't work etc etc etc. Decided to say no and reschedule the meeting rather than take that chance.

Always be able to say no.

Totally understandable. I am waiting on weather window for trip from Houston to Minnesota for a few day visit. Looking at the charts, I'm not going today, or tomorrow....might have a chance on Wednesday or Thursday. It's good to be flexible - retired from the old job, and a new job I can do anywhere I have a connection for the laptop.

I have heard that most pilots who die in bad weather are buried in the sun shine.

May be apocryphal, but conveys the message I think

TO Pa

I had this great trip to Gettysburg and then SC to see my brother. The weather turn out really crummy. I was happy with my decision.