claycookiemonster

Well Known Member
Looking for advice from anyone who has transported, or hired someone to transport kits at the QB stage from Canada to the US. Seems like a customs broker is required to have all paperwork in order when you arrive at border heading southbound. Also seems like it's possible to do the actual driving one's self, I'm just not sure of the financial cost of me drive versus hire them to drive.
It can't be that complicated, but it's new territory to me, so I'm seeking advice from those more experienced than I.
Clay Cook

I had most of the SB kits delivered by FedEx. For the really big stuff (as msot of the QB stuff would be, I'm sure), I did two different things:

1) I had the freight company (ABF I think?) deliver to the local bonded warehouse in Ottawa that they deal with. When it arrived I went to the warehouse and picked up the paperwork from them and took it to the customs office myself, paid my duties and got the release paperwork. Took the releasepaperwork back to the warehouse with the rental truck. They loaded it on the truck for me and away I went.

2) For one of my big subkits I drove down to the Watertown ABF frieght depot and drove it back across the border myself (stopping in to pay duties).

Basically, you can either clear customs yourself (as I did for both options above), or you have a customs broker do it for you (as is done when you use FedEx or UPS - in some cases for big items they will ask you if you have a broker, or if you want to use them as the broker. Usually it's hidden from you, but you'll see a brokerage fee somewhere in their charges). Vans uses ABF for the big stuff (at least, they did when I was building). If you have ABF ship right up to canada, you'll have to talk to them to arrange a customs broker, or else do it yourself as I did in case (1) above.

If I were to do it again, I would not do (2). Not much savings after you factor in the gas, and lot more time and hassle. The first approach worked very well for me.

Last edited:
Phil, wrong direction.

From Canada to the US, as I recall anything over $10,000 in value is deemed commercial and you must use a broker. Go to a border crossing in business hours that has a brokerage, leave your truck in impound, walk to the brokerage pay them a fee and take the paperwork to customs and go on your way.

No taxes or duties, unless things have changed.

Of course, they may want to inspect the goods as well.

Nothing's easy

Thanks! Didn't know I was automatically a commercial operation, but the FedEx International people can do the customs brokerage for $165.00, then if I do the driving I need an "eManifest" with all details about myself and the vehicle and insurance etc. so that there are no surprises at the border crossing. Working out costs of me driving and doing all this paperwork & footwork versus hiring another entity to handle it all.
It's a work in progress. Thanks for the info!