Paul Tuttle

Well Known Member
A friend who is building a Sea Ray was told by the MDRA inspector that any bolts used where they will rotate ie: elevators,rudder,ailerons, control rods etc have to have castle nuts and cotter pins instead of nylocs.

Did anyone run across this with their inspector?

It doesn't make a lot of sense that nylocs work fine in the US, but are unsafe in Canada.

Any bolt that is subject to rotation must be safetied. A nylock (in this situation) is not sufficient in the US either. Ref. AC43.13-1B Chapter 7 paragraph 7-64.a.

Last edited:
A friend who is building a Sea Ray was told by the MDRA inspector that any bolts used where they will rotate ie: elevators,rudder,ailerons, control rods etc have to have castle nuts and cotter pins instead of nylocs.

Did anyone run across this with their inspector?

It doesn't make a lot of sense that nylocs work fine in the US, but are unsafe in Canada.

The bolt and rod end eye are stationary and locked together. The rod end housing swivels on the eye.

Ross,
The Sea Ray doesn't use rod end bearings. The hinges swivel on the bolt.

Ross,
The Sea Ray doesn't use rod end bearings. The hinges swivel on the bolt.

Ahha. Better cotter pin 'em then. Losing an elevator will spoil your landings I hear. Thanks Mel. I've had people ask me this same question on RVs.

Same MD-RA must have missed this on two SuperCubs as I just had (yesterday) an AME look over mine and he picked that out for me to replace. He said that he doubted it would ever cause a problem but it's not up to standards. I will change them to castle nuts.

Here is a good example--------I just installed the cables that hold the rear seat shoulder harnesses. Exactly same cable/clevis setup as the rudder cables.

Rudder uses castellated/cotter pin. Seat belt uses nylock.

Only difference is that the rudder is expected to have motion at the connection.

I got the same information

Hi Paul, I got the same info from my MD-RA guy. He came to inspect my quick build and I already had the stick, elevator and aileron parts in and he made me change all the nuts and bolts to castle style. It only cost $10 - $15 for all the new hardware so I figured why argue. He will also get you for the vans heater box because it is made of alum instead of SS. I just changed mine.

Hi Paul, I got the same info from my MD-RA guy. He came to inspect my quick build and I already had the stick, elevator and aileron parts in and he made me change all the nuts and bolts to castle style. It only cost $10 - $15 for all the new hardware so I figured why argue. He will also get you for the vans heater box because it is made of alum instead of SS. I just changed mine.

Yea...I heard this is what is causing a lot of Cessna's to be grounded. Can you believe it, their heat box valve is made of aluminum :p