rjtjrt

Well Known Member
I have a problem that someone from Canada may know how to solve.
I want to temporarily (a few days) import an RV kit from Vans into Canada to put in a container in Toronto that is heading overseas to me (to Australia). Said container has some spare space I can utilise.
I assume GST/Taxes will be due at Canadian border as kit comes into Canada.
Can I somehow get a refund of the GST/taxes I assume I will have to pay at the border on kit when the container with RV kit leaves Canada?
If so any idea how to arrange the refund?
I have tried to see on Google but can't get a clear answer.
Maybe some tax/GST expert on VAF will know.
John

Hi John. I am no expert, but I know the frustrations of dealing with the bureaucracy to get answers. Although it seems logical that you would routinely get a refund on purchase tax (HST) paid on import into Canada when you export the goods to Aus, don't take it for granted.
I've made an enquiry for you which hasn't been fully answered yet. They are going to phone me back - may not be today.
I made some assumptions in my query. For example; non resident or foreign national;you live in Aus; all goods in the container are non commercial and for your use. If you want to give more info you could send me a PM.
It seems there many ways of being tripped up.
The standard HST/GST refund form doesn't have a category applying to you.
I guess customs brokers would have the answers. I'll see what I can find out.
Hope you don't live in Rockhampton.

in bond

If the thing is only transiting through Canada, you should be able to arrange it so that it stays "in bond", so it never enters Canada for HST/customs purposes. There are no duties on aircraft parts, only PST/GST (or HST) depending on the province.
Good advice to speak to a shipper/broker about options - start with the company handling the conatainer going to Australia.
Bill Brooks
Ottawa,
Canada

Spoke again to the customs people. If you use a bonded carrier to deliver the shipment for consolidation, of course no problem. If you bring in the shipment yourself they want assurance that it will leave the country again as declared.
They might ask for a 5% deposit (don't know where this number comes from since it is less than the HST) which would be refundable when the goods are shipped overseas. Doable but could be lots of bother.
Hope this helps.

Jim and Bill
Much appreciated. Thanks for going the extra mile for me.
Amazing the good people who inhabit VAF.
Jim - thanks for doing that. Calling any gov department is a major hassle.
I live in Melbourne so no floods here.
Thanks
John