flyboy1963

Well Known Member
HI all,

Looking to buy a GPS?something in the $1000 range. ?but concerned that all the advertised info may not apply to Canadian airspace, terrain, airport diagrams etc.

Are there any Canadian users out there with feedback on the Lowrance, AvMap, or AV8OR units? Can one purchase additional useful databases for the frozen ?north of the 49th????

Any feedback appreciated.

Perry

C-FINT RV-9a

I bought a Lowrance 1000C a couple years ago and found the database had errors in it just in my local area and it was a bear to use compared to my Bendix/ King/ Honeywell Skymap IIIC. There was no crossing runway at my home airport (CYBW) depicted. This at something like the 6th busiest airport in Canada (movements) and that runway has been there for 30+ years! I sold it and bought another Skymap. I wondered what else was not in the database.

GPS - what's the best unit for Canadian pilots?

I agree I've got all excited about this new IFLY 700 - with it's introduction to the canadian market - tryed to find out if it even has the VFR charts - apparentlly it does not. Dido with my IPHONE/IPAD - same problem - it's apparently because the NAV canada VFR charts are not digitized so that's the reason apparently. Foresight for IPHONE and or IPAD or andriod tablet's is an amazing program if you live in the USA!! haha - they have added IFR - low enroute and High enroute charts for canada - but no VRF charts yet. the GPS - works well though and it's got Airport information and other great features so I'm kind of torn between maintaining that and getting an IPAD and using that coupled to a GPS reciever/blue tooth gizmo so I don't eat up my data plan - uses the wi fi capablity I believe to connect to the GPS reciever you can buy for about 100 bucks. If you have an IPONE or IPAD or other andriod tab. I was also considering the AERA series - of the GARMIN who seem to have things pretty much monopolized in canada RE: GPS for aviation. I also like the AVMAP but again no maps for canada. ****. If you find out anything useful I would appreciate notification for sure.

Thanks. frank. I fly an RV4 - all I have currently for NAV is a losey compass and normal VFR gauges but nothing really for NAV. no radio NAV - or GPS yet except that forefight program on my IPHONE.

gee, feedback to myself?

I am in the same boat Mr. Rowe? ( by the way, which RV4 should I be looking for when I go to Vernon for gas?)
I bought the AvMap geopilot, and it has the North American SD card, so it provides all the nav you'll likely need, just not 'sectionals' ( like you could read them anyway?)
I barely know how to use it, but if you want to try it, and have a cigar plug 12v in your cabin, give me a call. BC GPS store in Winfield is owned by a pilot, and they often have a geopilot and EKP IV that you can try in the store.
..if I had the space, I'd certainly go for the IV (... or the new V!)

cheers!
Perry
250-768-3686

Last edited:
I use an Aera 500 for my flying, but haven't updated the database since I did the free upgrade after I bought it. Maybe next spring. At $200 per full update, it's not high on my priority list. I have current charts and CFS anyway if needed.

NavCanada most certainly does have digital charts and CFS. You can buy them, for $280 every 56 days, on their EPUB CD. You cannot choose what you want, ie. CFS and just the Vancouver VNC, you get *everything* on one disk. I have one such disk that someone sent me so I could see what was on it... It's about 10 years old now.

Note that TC and the military have access to all this data for free, if you know someone in one of these offices you may be able to get one of the "old" CD's from them.

BK AV80R

I have had the AV80R for about 2 years now and although most of my flying is local in the Ottawa valley area I have not found any problems or incosistencies in the database. All in all it is great as a portable GPS but if it was going to be used in a single aircraft I would consider the ACE version as it has a much larger screen. and a few extra features.